2003 Silverado. 2wd. Help a girl out. :)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by alabamabowtiegirl, Jan 22, 2014.

1. alabamabowtiegirl

alabamabowtiegirl New Member

Ok guys, so I have a 2003 Silverado that I absolutely love! And it's 2wd. It has become my project along with a '78 k10 but that's another issue for another time. I do 90% of the work on my trucks as none of my guy friends are any count for mechanics. So get a little grease under the nails from time to time. I need opinions on lifts. I'm only looking to lift about 2"-3" for practical uses. I haul a horse trailer all the time and hate how it makes my truck look when it's loaded down. Plus, I really want to have a pretty bad truck for a girl building it. What would your choice be on lifts, what you would do, etc? Any and all help is appreciated!
    22003_10201709868372628_610894008_n.jpg <--- This is the truck. :) (16" pro comp wheels. Love them!)

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I can't help you with 2wd lifts. Maybe [MENTION=36460]reggiecab2000[/MENTION] can help you out, he has a lifted 2wd and maybe able to tell you the do's and don'ts of lifting a 2wd. If you don't like the sagging in the rear with your trailer I would look into this http://www.activesuspension.com/
    it can still be used in conjunction with any lift you install.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

keeping the OEM height and installing auto adjust air bags with a horse trailer is best IMO. with a load on the rear the air bags will level you out makes towing with what your needs are a better modification.

I have worked with female mechanics/technicians as long as the weight was not very heavy they did a better job than the guys..

4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Leveling kit would be an option for a 2 to 3 inch lift, and adjustable bags to correct the squat when towing. Front lift on 2WDis usually a coil spring spacer or some 2WD have a torsion bar suspension which will require new keys. For the rear you can safely add a lift block since 2WD don't have blocks from the factory.I

5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

sorry for chiming in so late.....

I would recommend doing a spindle lift, fabtech and cst makes them, they usually give you 3-4" of lift, and I have the fabtech one along with a leveling kit, and 3 inch blocks in the rear...

fabtech spindle: cast iron
    cst spindle: steel

if i could do it all over I would go with CST, and I would also add the CST upper control arms which add extra travel to your front suspension.
    both brands run under $1000.00 for the spindle kit with rear blocks, and the control arms are an additional ~$700.00 if you want them.

easy lift to do yourself....