1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Silverado help.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Brad_w, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Brad_w

Brad_w New Member

Hello everybody, I just joined this forum and am hoping to get some help regarding a few issues with my truck.
    I have a 2003 Silverado LT extended cab with the 6L Vortec engine.

My first problem is all of a sudden my windshield washer system stopped working. I've replaced the pump, the fuses (even though they looked alright), and now the washer pump relay but to no avail. I've run out of ideas on what to look for, and was hoping for some insight.

Second problem is my fan switch will only work on 4 and 5. 0, 1, 2, and 3 all do the same thing......nothing. I've called my dealership, and I can apparently only order the entire Climate Control unit, rather than just the fan switch, which is $340 CDN. I'm wondering if there is any potential way of fixing this without having to buy a new Climate Control unit.

Third problem is my Speedometer. It's nowhere near being accurate. I'll be traveling at 110 KM/H and it will read 30 KM/H, for example. Now, I'm not too familiar with this truck and am not sure if a new speedometer is in order or if there is a speed sender in the transmission/diff that may have gone bad. Anyone with experience on this? What part(s) required replacement?

Thanks for any help.
  2. mccaer1

mccaer1 New Member

The problem i ran into with my truck only working on blower speeds 4 and 5 was caused by corrosion on the resistor pack and wiring harness to it. I would pull out the resistor pack which is under the glove box and is held in by 2 screws. If you pull it out and disconnect the harness and see green corrosion or slime looking substance it my be the harness that is at fault. If resistors it self has scaling or is burned then there is the source. Hope to have helped
  3. ChevyWelder122803

ChevyWelder122803 New Member

the problem with the spedometer is a facorty defect. there is a recall out for it i just had mine fixed on my of silverado 2500, they have to put a new instrument cluster in, if u try doing it yourself it will cost a few hundred not to mention it is all computer operate so you will need to get it programed.
  4. kiowamtp

kiowamtp New Member

Not to hijack this thread but what year/years is this factory recall for? I know the instrument cluster as being fairly common from the internet traffic I have dug up, but have not seen a reference to a recall until now. Thanks.

Brad...Did you check the connections on the washer connections for corrosion as well? I had a suburban I bought from Florida and it had a bunch of electrical issues that was corrosion related. It took me awhile to get it all right.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. ChevyWelder122803

i belive it was for 03 to 05 or 06 i got a letter in the mail from the dealership i bought it from stating there was a factory recall and i could take it to n e certified gm dealer to have it replaced. was really easy took maybe 2 hours
  6. Brad_w

Brad_w New Member

Great! I will look into this further. Thanks for the tip.

I didn't take a close look, but from quickly glancing at the connections they appeared to be fine. I will look more closely at them tomorrow.

I'm not the original owner of this truck, so would the Dealership still honor this?

Thanks for the replies everyone!
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

8. Brad_w

Brad_w New Member

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Give it a shot at the dealer,You never Know!!!...I wish you good Luck.....:glasses:
  10. ChevyWelder122803

as far as i know if its a recall they have to honor it if they are a gm certified dealer