1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Silverado question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Medicfrost, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Medicfrost

Medicfrost New Member

I just bought my first Silverado, a 2003 with a 5.7L V8. While driving it, I notice the battery guage is starting to peg all the way to the right. This is an intermittent problem, and all the electronics and lights seem to be operating fine, and I haven't blown any fuses. When I tried to start pricing alternators and voltage regulators, the information I'm finding on the internet says that the voltage regultor is part of the alternator on the 2003 model, and they have to be replaced together. Is this true?

Also, i tried the search feature, but was bombarded with almost every electrical thread in the forum, so forgive me if this a topic that has been beaten to death already.
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well before you got searching into alternators and voltage regulators check your gauge cluster first. GM has a recall on those clusters and i have an 03 and my gauges act all weird. I would run your truck and when you find the gauge starting to peg all the way to the right get out and run a voltage meter to your power cable coming form the alternator to see what kind of voltage you get.
    1 person likes this.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Site......having a 2003".....your Engine would be a 5.3 Liter V-8 not a 5.7 Liter.....From what you have mentioned re-guarding the problem with your Volt Gauge........I would said it is the Stepper Motor for that Gauge is going out/bad....it is a common Problem on the these Trucks/SUV's,

The Stepper Motors are Located on the backside of the Dash Cluster and are the ones circled in Red,
    [​IMG]

You mentioned that your not having any problems with the Electronics and Lights.....that they are Operating Fine, with that I would said that the problem is with the Stepper Motor.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Medicfrost

Medicfrost New Member

Thank you for the responses. I'll throw a gauge on it tomorrow, and see what it's charging at.
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep good luck! Hope thats just the problem!
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. X2 what they said. Theres a company d-d instruments that advertises on this site and they repair the clusters.