1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 silverado ?'s

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by klfutrelle, Nov 2, 2007.

1. klfutrelle

klfutrelle New Member

I am thinking about buying a 03/04 silverado 1500hd crewcab with 77xxx miles on it. When turning this truck sharply I hear a single popping noise. Also when accelarating the transmission from 1st to 2nd seems like it hops into gear. Is this normal. I have drove this truck several times and seems to run good besides these few problems I have noticed. Someone told me that these are common problems with these vehicles. Can someone please help me decide if I should buy or stay away from this one.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I will give you the said advice I give anyone buying a used vehicle.

Take it to a reputable local mechanic and have him give it the once over. He can give you a better idea of what is wrong and you will thank me.

The hopping into gears sounds like a servo in the tranny is sticking. But pull the dipstick and smell the fluid, if it smells like burnt almonds the clutches in the tranny are toast.

The popping during turning can be a couple of things, CV joint or wheel bearing, ball joint, tie rod end.
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I'm done buying new. I buy used with a repair budget in mind. When I don't have a $450/mth payment I have plenty of money around for whatever repairs need to be done. When I bought my burb, I had $10k budgeted. I bought the burb for $6k and had $4k left over for repairs. In the first year I repaired or replaced:

1. Front end work................................$450
    2. 4wd actuator.....................................$80
    3. Air conditioning compressor..............$500
    4. Radiator.........................................$300
    5. Upgrade to K&N filter.........................$50

So I am still under budget and I don't have to sweat it if the tranny goes boom, or the engine has a melt down.

If you have limited mechanical ability you absolutely need a mechanic you can trust. If you don't have one now, make it a priority. It will save you thousands.

Fiero is right take the truck to your mechanic and pay for a pre-purchase inspection. A few dollars up front can save thousands on the back side. Good luck on your hunt for a truck.