Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2003 Sub Z71 issues with tranny and shutting down unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MattSOL, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MattSOL

MattSOL New Member

I really liked this vehicle, had no problems for six years, changed fluids, filters regularly, lived in colorado and it was my wife's daily driver, very little usage, and we towed a small pleasure boat with it every summer, two trips,
    Up and back to the lake. Fall of 2009 we relocated our family to Argentina where wife's from, and we brought this vehicle with us as it only had 70K miles on it. Due to some red tape etc, we were finally able to start driving in sept. 2010. Checked all the fluids again, ok. February of 2011, on a road trip the vehicle shut down without warning. Holy s..., I restarted it, it kept driving, tis happened after about four hours on the road, and continued to happen without warning roughly fifteen times over the next five hours, nearly killing my family and I on several occasions. Had the truck looks at, diagnosed, changed the fuel filter as bad fuel was suspected, tranny fluid ok. On the return trip we made it eight hours without issues when it started shutting down again without warning at highway speeds. Well, after another few weeks of sporadic in town use it stopped shifting into third gear. Had it diagnosed locally, but I did not have much confidence in this mechanic so I shipped 600 miles to someone trustworthy near family. This was in september, got a good German mechanic that completely reviewed the tranny overhauled it and the solenoids that correspond, the guy works on automatics but typically Mercedes and BMW. So the tranny is in new condition, he replaced the fuel pump which was causing the vehicle to shutdown, but the tranny still will not shift third gear or fourth obviously. Four months later and almost two years without being able to use it, we are running slim on options, more so in a country where this vehicle does not exist. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, sincerely Matt SOL in Argentina.