1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2003 Suburban 1500 Transmission Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by txbuckhunt, Oct 12, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. txbuckhunt

txbuckhunt New Member

Hello everyone. I am new here. great to be here. I need some help on some transmission problems. My wife has a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 ltr Vortec Motor and 82k miles. All of the sudden the other day, she could not go in reverse. Then she only has 1st and 3rd gear. No reverse, no 2nd, and no overdrive. Also, about 6 months ago the speedometer quit working, but i have seen where alot of people were having this problem. Now, the tach is acting up also. There are no shavings or burnt transmission fluid. The fluid id clean as can be. I dropped the pan and the filter didnt look to bad either. I could blow through it somewhat.There are small metal particles, which i was told is normal. I was thinking maybe it was something electrical. Maybe the speed sensor? I wonder if I changed the filer and added new fluid if that might fix it. I just find it hard to believe that this transmission is out after only 82k miles. This suburban has never pulled anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to get screwed by a mechanic that is not honest with me. Would a Transmission scan tell me anything? Thanks again.

2. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Based on my experiences with the GM transmissions and depending on individual driving styles the 4l60E transmission likes to get replaced every 70-120k and the 4l80E every 100-150k.

This is not to say that they cannot last longer but especially with women drivers (my wife is in a 98 1500 suburban) they tend to be a little heavy on the gas pedal especially using OverDrive up steep inclines, either one of those individually is enough to categorize the driving as (severe duty) in my book.

Personally I use 3rd or even 2nd going up ANY incline up to a speed of 45-50 MPH, to me that is where alot of the failures are stemming from, improper use of OD and flogging the gas pedal, Basically I think they are high RPM'n it in OD and burning out specific gears, I try and never let my Tach get above 2k RPM even while accelerating to freeway speeds, I am always a bit slower but my transmissions last 120k minimum and I have only ever had to do it once to a 95 1500 Sierra, My advice is to get the Tranny checked out by a qualified Transmission Shop, and teach proper shifting and use of an automatic transmission to the Wife, It will help her feel more confident in her vehicle and you will likely have less stress due to maintenance.