1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Tahoe LT/Z71. My Battery was giving me alot of probvlems.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Sep 11, 2012.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

Next I was at the stoe gettig food. And it started but in low engine mode. 20KMès all the way home. I let it sit overnight and it and the same thing, waited on more day. It started OK. I have a sick 4 year old with Canser ALL, I need this unit to go all the thime so we can make it to B.C.C.Hospital. I only have 144,000 Km, on it. Does any one have sopme help to offer.
    Thanks..................:glasses:
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Go to an autoparts store like autozone to have them test your charging system.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear about your child, life is just not fair.

Your battery may be on it's last legs, do you know how old it is?

Getting it tested, as Conlan suggested is a good next step.

However, having the engine go into "limp home" mode may mean something else is wrong. While having the battery tested, have the store check for any codes in the PCM (codes usually bring on the Check Engine Light, but some don't).
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with rayvoy, you need to have it checked for codes. Doing a little research I found that a common cause for your issue is the throttle body motor. But, you need to have it checked so you can narrow down the cause. Some parts stores will loan you a code reader If you can't drive it to a parts store. Then you can take it home and scan it yourself.
  5. BIGREDDADDY53

Sorry about the first post Pikey, I get so little sleep I donèt know what I am doing half the time. Went out to try the truck today (2003 Tahoe LT, 5.3, Z71,150.000KMs) and the power was down but it started with no engine light on the dash and in full power mode. I didnèt drive it anywhere as I do not want to get stuck. Now I am not sure what to do. At one point I thought new batt and alt should do it but now...
  6. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Any new developments on this [MENTION=28787]bigred[/MENTION]DADDY53 ?
  7. BIGREDDADDY53

Brought it to my guy and he checked out the charging system and it was the battery, one dead cell. He put in a interstate with 660 cca. I hope this is enought cranking power. Any on know.
    2003 Tahoe, 5.3 Lt Z71, Z55.................Thanks for all the help
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well it depends on how cold it gets where you live and if you have a block heater. The battery I have is a 800cca duralast gold and it works great for here in CT(winter gets down to maybe 0 but usually 20s-30s) but its much colder in Vancouver I would assume.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm on the east coast, in a little colder climate than you. Years ago, I changed to synthetic oil just so the engine would crank easier on a cold morning. With the synthetic oil, the winter cold engine cranks just like a summer morning engine.
  10. BIGREDDADDY53

Thanks for all you input. I was thinking about putting in a second Bat. but do you think that would help run the extra stuff I wanted to put in ( DVD for my little one and upgrade the stereo for when I drive alone.............Red
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012