1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Tahoe - rear shocks and brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Saleen2005#14c, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Saleen2005#14c

Saleen2005#14c New Member

My Tahoe has 50,000 miles on it and the right rear air ride shock is gone.
    $750.00 for ONE!!!! I have no interest in replacing both for $1500 +++
    It's got the load leveling air suspension system in, and I dont need it.
    I want to replace all four with a standard shock.
    I might barrel through snow banks, jump the occasional curb, and zip through a field from time to time, but I don't really go offroading......
    Front and rear springs are good, thankfully.

Any recommendations on shocks???

I'm also replacing the rear rotors and pads with AC delco products. Any thoughts on that?

While I'm at it, the rear braking plates are corroded and need to be replaced, and the shop tells me that the rear axel seals need to be replaced.

Any thoughts on how much labor/time/$$$ I should be paying for all this work??
    Love my truck, and plan to keep it for a looong time.
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Chekc out Rockauto they have a whole list of shock for your ride including replacements for the electronic ones and standard shocks to replace the electronic.

The cost is about $300+ per shock though either way you slice it.

I was reading about getting rid of the electronic ones the other day but forgot where, the subject came up when I was looking into coil over shocks cause bilstein makes some folks were using I think.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

ACDELCO Part # 580205 {#22187156, 22187158, 580207}
    ABSORBER KIT,RR SHK 2 WHEEL DRIVE; w/AUTO LVL CONT(G69) or CHASSIS PKG(Z55); CODE T6Z
    ABSORBER KIT,RR SHK 4 WHEEL DRIVE; w/AUTO LVL CONT(G69) or CHASSIS PKG(Z55); CODE R47,TT3,T4A,T6X,U6S
    ABSORBER KIT,RR SHK REPLACE IN PAIRS; w/AUTO LVL CONT(G69) or CHASSIS PKG(Z55); CODE T7K,U1T

$377.79

MONROE Part # 40210 {Specialty Shock Absorber; Rear w/0 in. Lift/Drop (***Up to a $125 Rebate with Purchase of Select Combinations of Monroe Shocks or Struts. See More Info for Details***)}
    2 Wheel Drive; 4 Wheel Drive; With Rear Standard Suspension; With Standard Suspension

$334.79

The Monroe specialty unit is designed for replacement of vehicles originally equipped with electronic or active suspensions.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Look into the Bilstein 5150 or the Rancho RS9000XL
  4. Saleen2005#14c

Saleen2005#14c New Member

Thanks for the input guys.
    Still looking for more thoughts on rear rotors/pads and guesses as to my cost.
    Thanks