Audio 2003 Tahoe with stock Bose sound system, aftermarket head unit questions

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Tahoeguy2016, May 17, 2017.

1. Tahoeguy2016

Tahoeguy2016 New Member

My 2003 Tahoe has the factory Bose sound system. I was wanting to put in an aftermarket head unit in. I got everything except the controller for the door dinger. Cheapest I could find was between 40 and 60 for it. Is their any safe and easy way to bypass it to make the radio work without the controller?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The adapter plays a big role, including the connection to the vehicle LAN (the LAN allows each of the computerized modules to communicate).

The radio can be made to work without the adapter, it's the things like the alarm chimes and Onstar that won't work.
    You will also have to rewire the +12v connection, or always remember to manually turn off the radio when you get out.

3. Tahoeguy2016

Tahoeguy2016 New Member

How would I go about that? I dont care about chimes and I dont have onstar.

4. RayVoy

You need to find a fuse circuit that is hot only when the key is turned on.

Add a fuse and wire the radio to this lead.

5. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will also need an "always on" lead for the station memory and clock. The install manual of the radio will tell you how/where to connect this.

Be aware that Bose puts an amplifier on each speaker so you will need to replace/rewire the speakers when you replace the Bose head unit. And I think there is an additional sub and amp in the console.

If you have steering wheel controls that you want to work with the new unit that will require an additional interface.

Ted

6. RayVoy

Ted, that amp at each speaker suggestion of yours will vary from vehicle to vehicle, year to year.
    Some Bosé systems use a separate amp. I assumed, tuned for each speaker.
    The amp is in the center console, or under the driver's seat