1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Trailblaser VERY LOUD NOISE IN DASHBOARD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by corvetteman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. corvetteman

corvetteman Member

Just started today there is a very loud noise coming from the center of the dashboard. It sounds like a big clock TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK. Any idea what is causing this.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It could be one of the heating/cooling system actuators. There would be one to change the temp for the passenger, one to change the temp for the driver and one to change the direction of the air flow (floor/dash/vent). If they get stuck, they make a clicking sound trying to reset.

Try a battery disconnect for 30 seconds to see if it resets. If it won't, you probably need a new one.

Second possibility, is the radio unit; do you have the nav radio by any chance?
  3. corvetteman

corvetteman Member

Have the Bose radio and it's not a ticking sound its a loud banging noise like something is hitting on something. Would an actuator do this? How do you remove the dash pad to get inside to see what's going on? Thanks
  4. RayVoy

I'd get under the dash and try to find the source of the noise. I use my hand and when you get close, you can usually feel the noise in your finger tips.

After I posted the first response, I remembered that there was a change from vacuum to electric actuators somewhere around 2000. I don't remember which kind you have.

An additional thought, do you get this noise only when the blower motor is running?
    Could it be something related to this motor?
  5. corvetteman

corvetteman Member

Just went out and confirmed it has to do with the HAVC system. It makes the noise when the defroster and defroster/heat modes are selected I put it on heat/vent and the noise went away. Put it back on heat/defrost and it started up again.
  6. RayVoy

Ok, that is the mode actuator. Again, I don't remember if you have the electric ones, or the vacuum motor. From the description, I suspect the electric ones.

Try the battery disconnect/reconnect and see if that will reset the actuator.
  7. corvetteman

corvetteman Member

Haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery yet but if that doesn't work how do you get at the defrost actuator? It seems to be the culprit.
  8. RayVoy

I can't help you with that truck, but you might find a "how-to" on Youtube.
  9. corvetteman

corvetteman Member

Thanks! You pointed me in the right direction.