1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 transfer case problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Roy Lentz, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Roy Lentz

Roy Lentz New Member

I just bot a 2003 1500LT. When I put it into 4 wheel drive on dry pavement, it started to seize up almost immediately. I couldn't go more than about 20 ft and it felt like it was going to break. Now I know you can't drive on dry pavement in 4 WD for too long, but I thought you could go for at least a few hundred yards or more before it would start to seize up. I think it has a transfer case problem. Does anyone else have an idea on this? I would be glad to hear ghow your burb acts.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Before I started blaming the t-case, I would first check that my tires are all the same size and make and model and wear. Different manufacturers will make tires slightly different in size, Old tires have a different diameter than new, and so on. For that matter, a flat/low tire has a different diameter than one properly aired up. If there's a chance that someone has messed with axles, make sure the front gear ratio is the same as the rear.

gut feel is that you don't have a t-case problem.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How does it drive off road?
  4. First thing I would do is check all the fluids. We just had a 2002 burb in for the same reason. The poor guy had been driving the t case with no lube. If the fluids are good check the front and rear axles to make sure they are not binding up themselves. Also check your tires and gear ratios. Also make sure the gears are all installed properly. I've seen some crazy things through my years. If the front and rear appear to be good drop the drive shafts and true putting it into 4wd and listen carefully. Any grinding and you most likely have internal t case problems. How does it feel in 2wd? How does it do off road?