1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Yukon Flex Fuel - Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jnt412, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jnt412

jnt412 New Member

I have a 2003 Yukon XL, 5.3L, Flex Fuel (8th VIN Letter - Z)

I admit that this is my first post, but I have done some research on this forum before deciding to post. One thread that came close to answering my question about my fuel filter was here..

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8560

Issue - After changing the plugs/plug wires and PCV Valve, I wanted to change the fuel filter as well. I noticed that one end of the fuel filter can be actually screwed off. The other end looks like the fuel line was pressed on the fuel filter some how. I read in the thread above about the "Lisle 35000 "Fuel Filter Disconnect Tool" but I don't know how this tool actually fits around my fuel line and removes it from the fuel filter. I felt around the fuel line/connection going into the filter and I didn't see or feel any clamps or springs.

So, if the tool is needed. How do I actually place this tool on the fuel line to remove it from the fuel filter? :neutral:

Pics of this fuel line connection is below..

Attached Files:

2. bstuna

bstuna New Member

jnt412, did you ever receive an answer? did you figure it out? I'm at the same point in trying to replace the fuel filter.
  3. bstuna

bstuna New Member

Slide Fuel Line

I tried a universal tool that did not fit between the fuel line and the filter. I returned that tool and found the Lisle 35000 at O'Rielys. That tool did work but more importantly included some vague instructions which included a step of sliding the fuel line forward to insert the tool. Turns out the universal tool would have worked had I known to slide the fuel line.
  4. PencilPro

PencilPro New Member

The metal version is a better tool and sometimes the plastic tools won't work the first time you use it.
    As best as I can describe how it works is this:

Looking at the pix of the filter on the left(in the thumbnals you have), you are going to fit the tool around the fuel filter tube made onto the filter itself. Have the tool, long side facing the line.
    Slide it into the fuel connector as far uas you can then shove the fuel line toward the filter.
    There are Metal Tangs that will then slide up onto the tool, that will cause the the metal tange to spread out onto it, then hold the tool into the connector and pull the filter out of the connector.
    The tool will start to move with the filter when it hits the lip that is on the fuel filter side of the connection.
    You will probably have to try it several times because most of them will stick a little.
    Hope this helps you!

P.S. Get ready for the fuel to come out!
    I would release the pressure at the fuel rail check valve before you start.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. jnt412

jnt412 New Member

Happy New Year.. My bad in not responding to your post earlier. I've been out of town for the holidays. Yes, that is the correct tool (Lisle 35000) and it does have some crappy instructions. Due to the weather, I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet. Glad you was able to replace it with little to no problems. Gives me the courage to try it this coming Spring..
  6. jnt412

jnt412 New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will print this when I tackle this project in the Spring.