2003 Z71 Burb will crank, but won't start

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GoshenBurb, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GoshenBurb

GoshenBurb New Member

Wasn't planning on a problem being the subject of my first post, but it is what it is.

This is my first chevy vehicle and have only had it 3 weeks.

Tried the start the burb this morning and no luck.

Turned the key the the position before the starter engages to let the fuel pump pressurize. I did hear the noise from the tank are that I am accustomed to hearing in my other vehicles.

From there, it will crank, but won't turn over. I tried depressing the pedal to the floor, but no luck.

I have not checked the fuel pressure.

Any other areas to look? I'm a DIY'er, and would like to know if this is something that I can tackle, or do I bite the bullet and have it towed to a garage.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard. I would start off by checking the fuel pressure, and go from there and you dont have to press the gas pedal on the FI engines.. It wont inject any more fuel if you do.
    Was the check engine light on the last time that you drove it?

3. GoshenBurb

GoshenBurb New Member

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

There wasn't a CE light yesterday and there isn't one this morning.

What fuel pressure am I looking for?

Does Chevy sell Factory Service Manuals? I've had those for prior cars and they more than paid for themselves. If so, is Chevy the only place to purchase one?

4. murdog94

Im not to sure i know there have been mentions of the service manuals here on the site.. I honestly would do a little digging here in the forums on that part.. And PSI i believe is something like 55-60PSI... At the fuel rail. Another thing to check is pulling the vacuum line off of the Fuel Pressure regulator, and if fuel comes out then you have a bad FPR.

5. GoshenBurb

GoshenBurb New Member

While scouring the web today, I ran across some threads that mentioned hitting the bottom of the gas tank. I did that and it started fine. Would it be safe to say I need a new fuel pump? Do I need to perform any more diagnostics?

6. GoshenBurb

GoshenBurb New Member

one more item of interest...the check engine light is now on.

Is there any way for me to check the codes? Or do I need a scan tool?

7. murdog94

You will need a new Fuel Pump ASAP, because hitting the tank is just a stop gap to get you home. It might work next time and it might not.
    As to the Scanner yeah you need one to pull the codes however when you go to pick up your new AC delco (only brand that 99% of us agree one that will last) Fuel pump from your prefered parts dealer they will most likely have a scan tool that you can borrow to go and pull the codes real quick. It takes about 5 min max to get the codes and write them down.
    To check the codes there is an OBDII port under your dash.. You plug it in and follow the instructions.

8. GoshenBurb

GoshenBurb New Member

Fuel Pump Replacement

thanks for the feedback.

I found a link to gmpartsdirect.com as a source of GM parts.

I did the standard "catalog" selection on gmpartsdirect.com, but wasn't satisfied with the price. I called my local dealership and they quoted a price that was very much in line with what I saw on gmpartsdirect. The dealership required that I provide the last 8 of my vin before they would quote a price, as they indicated the models vary. I asked for the part # and then went back to gmpartsdirect.com. The part from the dealer was not listed when using the catalog option. I was, though, able to find it by putting the part number into the advanced search, at it was a fuel pump. I emailed gmpartsdirect to make sure everything was good and asked if they would validate the part number w/ my VIN. They emailed later in the day and confirmed that the part number from the dealer was good. gmpartsdirect was $200+ cheaper than the dealer (not a big suprise).

Have you used gmpartsdirect.com? Or would you suggest sticking w/ local GM parts supplier?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. murdog94

I actually use a Parts store like Advance Auto or Oreillys, i used to go to NAPA till the one that is in my town of Residence decided that they werent going to do price matching or charge a reasonable fee for their parts usually i can drive the 30miles each way to the Advance Auto parts and save myself $15-$20 after i pay for gas on most items (oviously if its a $10 part and the other town has it for $8 ill pay the money but you get my point). I only go to GM for a very very select few parts. They are way to overpriced when you can get most aftermarket or even AC delco parts for way way less and just as good a quality if not better in some cases. And get cleaners etc..