Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 z71 Rear Brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gaborn73, Sep 23, 2009.

1. gaborn73

gaborn73 New Member

I failed a Virginia safety inspection due to the parking brake and rear rotor thickness.
    I thought I'd write up a small summary of replacing these.
    Rotors from Napa were $52 apiece, pads were $75 from Advance (Thermo-quiet has a
    $15 rebate) and park brake pads were $75 from Napa.
    Follow safety guidelines (chock tires, safety jack).
    Remove tire, use a 12mm 6pt socket to remove the caliper. I found it was better placed
    and out of the way wedging it in front of the rear shock rather than tying up. Yea I know
    not to stress the brake line. Remove the caliper housing using a 18mm 6pt socket. This
    took a $3 18 inch long 1 inch pipe from Lowes to break them loose. Remove the rotor clips
    (perforated washers slipped over the lug threads, 2 of them). Remove the rotor. Remove the
    parking brake clip from the inside of the park brake pad (8mm I think). Rotate the pb pad over
    the axle hub and pull outward gently and it slips off. Reverse process for installation of new pads
    and rotor. I used throttle body cleaner on the new rotors to get the packing oil off. In reflection
    I wish I used my torque wrench but I didn't have it with me. The left and right side pb pads are inverted.
    No problem one is just upside down. The rotor pads came with shims but I didn't have any installed
    when I replaced them so I didn't use them. I'm sure someone here can correct me. So far no problems.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice. I copied it over to the "write up" section so others can benefit from your work. Thx:glasses:
  3. gaborn73

gaborn73 New Member

more info

I should have mentioned compressing the brake pistons which i used a c-clamp and block of wood.
    I think the use of a torque wrench would be better. I don't have the proper torque required though.