GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

2003 Z71 Sub shocks

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gaborn73, Jul 6, 2009.

1. gaborn73

gaborn73 New Member

I've to replace the shocks on my z71. I googled and searched this forum but haven't found the answer to this.....How to tell if my z71 has Autoride suspension and self leveling. I presume I can climb under and look for the sensors. I really don't want to pay for OEM shocks and did read the post by Jacqson on disabling your Autoride. Anyone know how to check? Also is self-leveling a secondary feature? Does it interfere with shock replacement? Thanks friends!
  2. kgibson181

kgibson181 New Member

I would just take it to the dealer to ask them if your model is equipped with the autoride and self leveling acessories and if it is ask them how to disable the features to allow for aftermarket shocks.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member

im pretty sure since it is a Z71 it is not autoride. I think the autoride trucks have it marked on the little badge on the C-pillar of the car that usually says LT or SLT or whatever with autoride under it. I would look into a set of Bilstein 5100's or Rancho RS9000XL shocks
  4. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member

My wifes escalade has the auto ride suspension and auto leveling when you start it you can actually hear the compressor puting air into the shocks and can see it rise alittle.maybe hers leaks I dont know but if you have the auto leveling I am sure you would hear that compressor from time to time.
  5. Jacqson

Jacqson New Member

Look at the sticker in your glove box and check for RPO Z55. If you don't have that RPO then you do not have Autoride. And, Yes, you can have the load leveling feature without the Autoride. Also, another way is to check the shock itself. If it has a wire coming out of it at the top of the shock then it is an Autoride shock.
  6. gaborn73

gaborn73 New Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feeback.
    That's exactly what I did. I finally got a moment to crawl underneath (my wife drives it right now) and no wires. I was a bit concerned about the added stiffness from the Bilsteins HD and I need the shocks this week before we go on vacation. Yeah I waited until the last moment. I ended up with Monroe Sensa-Tracs b/c its a pavement driver. It sees the OBX once a year and we're not hill climbing in it.
    Thanks again everyone! Enjoy summer!
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

good choice on shocks, Monroe makes a great shocks