1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 2500 silverado L80 tranny!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by fugitive, Nov 11, 2013.

1. fugitive

fugitive Member

Looking for any info on tranny failure in the below 80,000 mile range not sure on all the specifics just yet but all I know is my Dad is unable to drive it!. I hope the tranny # he cave me is correct. Any insight with this little of info would be great.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The transmission would be a 4L80 (4 speeds, Longitudinal (front engine, rear drive), 80 = heavy duty).
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You're going to have to give us a LOT more information, like what it's doing and not doing, sounds, feels, drippings on the ground, etc.
  4. fugitive

fugitive Member

First off thanx for replying! I do have more info as of an hour ago from my Dad (he's 80) retired Loedstown GM auto worker that just went through a tripple fracture vertibre cement surgury and is a limph nod cancer survivor from stage 5 so he's not all there but is as tough as nails!. He tells me the fluid is black and just was'nt grabbing in reverse and just slightly in the first forward gear it has a temp gauge for the tranny and is runnin normal. This is all I could get from him today I will most likely have to drive it to get some more clear diagnostic info but for now any help would be great.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like your dad has a little wear and tear, just like his truck.

Black fluid is never good, usually means some of the clutch material has burned.

The tranny probably needs to be rebuilt, however, a fluid change might buy a little time.
  6. fugitive

fugitive Member

Yea he's tough as nails ! But as far as the tranny goes it doesn't look so promissing we are leanin toward the re-build but he's on a limited income and funds are tight.