1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 avalanche tailgate problem [Expired/Resolved]

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by 79m1a-texas, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 79m1a-texas

79m1a-texas New Member

The tailgate just drops either locked or unlocked driving down the road. The passenger side latch doesn't seem to catch at all. I can grab the tailgate and pull it open. Any solutions?
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

a 2.00 dollar bungie cord from your local lowes.

or id recomend taking it to the dealer
    i have heard of this being a problem on gm trucks.
  3. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

unlock all of your bed covers and make sure they are all tight together and relock them down. then just slam the tailgate harder. it should stay shut but you do have to slam them harder than you would think to keep them closed.
  4. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Had same problem

I had the same issue with my Av when i bought it this April. pulled off the handle and found that the locking mechanism was not engaging with the key shaft. It is a square hole in the end of the locking mechanism shaft. It was stuck between lock and unlock. I lubed all moving parts and made sure the key shaft went into the square hole and now it is fine. It closes tight and unlocks and locks for real.

Hope this helps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.