1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004" Chevy 2500 4WD, Doesn't Work In Reverse, Help??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Johnross327, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Johnross327

Johnross327 New Member

I recently found out that my 2004 chevy 2500 6.0l automatic. When engaged in hi/lo/auto 4x4 the four wheel drive doesn't work in reverse. Trying to get it fixed before the next snow storm. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

But it works in drive?
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  4. Johnross327

Johnross327 New Member

Yes it works occasionally in drive
  5. sierra11

Are you getting any messages on the dash? I was having similar problems but got it fixed. On these models they have problems with the actual 4x4 switch. It will go bad and work sometimes and sometimes not. Basically the push buttons stop to work. Thankfully its a cheap fix, you can go to gmc or chevy and ask for a 4x4 switch and it'll cost around $120. You can install it yourself in 5minutes by popping of the dash cover.
  6. Johnross327

Johnross327 New Member

It stopped working all together.
  7. sierra11

I'd go with the route of replacing the 4x4 switch. First just to check go have someone hook it up to a computer and see if there are any codes being thrown and then go from there.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

if the switch dosnt fix it, try the encoder motor, and check the linkage.

Alex
  9. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. :glasses: