1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 chevy k1500 z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by tedjr, May 7, 2007.

1. tedjr

tedjr New Member

Had it in the dealership since it was new 4 times.Has bad klunking noise when taking off from start in the rearend is getting worse. They tell me no problem. this truck also does this when shifting from 2 nd t0 3 rd ( auto tranny ) feels like it is in the transmission . Anybody having problems as well and what was done to correct these problems ?
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

TSB from GM as follows

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).
    Important: The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with Driveline Stop Clunk, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 964101R (Chevrolet 92-265-7A, GMC Truck 91-4A-77, 47-71-20A, GM of Canada 93-4A-100) or Bump/Clunk Upon Acceleration, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004.
    Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.
    Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.
    The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.
    For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.
    In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
    Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.
    Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.
    While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.
  3. ras

ras New Member

I feel your Pain

I have a 99' Z71 with the same problem I took it to the dealer ship twice, but first My clunking was accompanied by a ticking so I paid $300 for a slip yoke! fixed the tickin but it was still clunking. I haven't had any major problems with mine its got 120k plus now and I run it pretty hard.
  4. dark star

dark star New Member

I was worried that my 2009 was going back to the dealer for drive line repairs.
    After reading this it would appear that what i'm experiencing is normal.
    Thanks to this forum and the internet for saving me an unnecessary trip
    to the dealer.