1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Chevy Silverado Dies Out

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 04RegencyRst, Jan 19, 2013.

1. 04RegencyRst

04RegencyRst New Member

Just Came Back from my 2 week vacation to find my Chevy Silverado battery dead. Charged it and turned it on but it just died out and I started it up again no problem and died out again. The only way it stays on is if I have my foot on the accelerator. Can't find the problem
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

after charging the battery with a charger check to see that the alternator voltage is correct. could be the alternator regulator sucked the battery down //could also be interior light ... then if necessary check fuel pressures. use a pressure gage 53-62psi range..

game time .......
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

if it's origianl, it may have 2 or 3 dead cells ???
    Brian
  4. 04RegencyRst

04RegencyRst New Member

No it's an Optima Battery and after a while of having it up to 2000 rpms it started working normal again
  5. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I know EXACTLY what the problem is and there are Acouple fixes. You're experiencing a forgotten memory on your truck, happens to mine when I work on it and a lot of other 2004 silverados. Here is one fix

Start the truck, rev the motor up to 3500RPMs and hold it for exactly 1 minute steady, then allow it to drop 500 RPMs and hold that for 1 minute. Drop it 500 RPMs every minute. This is not the best for your motor, it is however, the quickest way to reset it. It may drive kinda funny for about 2 or 3 minutes after the reset.

The second method is a bit easier on ya. If you have open highway, go drive your truck about 50 miles round trip at a steady highway speed. Don't do this in town, you won't get your idle to relearn.

That's all that is going on, your truck has essentially forgot how to idle. This will reteach it.
  6. 04RegencyRst

04RegencyRst New Member

Took it to a Mechanic and they said it may be the alternator drying up the battery so I may need an aftermarket one...
  7. zigger215

That's not what it is trust me lol I have worked on the electrical systems on more silverados than I can ever even try and remember. You'll replace the alternator and then be pissed when the problem is still there. Take your truck for a good long highway drive.
  8. zigger215

I personally recommend doing the rev trick first and THEN take it for the drive. But once you get down to about 700 RPMs (where it should idle) you gotta hold it and force it to idle there for another minute. Then go drive it. It may want to die right away when you very first end the drive but once you fire it back up you'll see and notice the truck will start to remember how to idle.
  9. zigger215

Update?????
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

testing the alternator on the vehicle with these issues is not a guessing game. go where the tech has the equipment and knowledge to check this. that would mean voltage and current/amp flow out of the alternator also checking for reverse current flow [leakage].............

if it is determined you need a new alternator buy new no re-build. also have the battery load tested after a charge on a charger . if its weak replace battery also.

if the voltage to the engine computer controlled systems is low the vehicle will run as you have indicated here.