Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2004 chevy silverado idle problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wcfd1204, Jan 14, 2011.

1. wcfd1204

wcfd1204 New Member

OK here it is, I have recently gotton a 2004 chevy silverado with the vortec engine. this truck was abandoned by a prior renter. finally got it cranked and there are a few problems i hoped you guys and gals could help with.
    1st: engine idles high..(never idles down)
    2nd: when you touch throttle it revs high and takes about 5 sec for it to come back down. this is really weird because you just touch the throttle.... and it goes high like 4k or so.. any ideas? noticed that the odb II jack is not working either.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I think the "high idle" is a problem with the IAC, but I'm not sure if it would also cause the 4,000 RPMs when barely touching the gas pedal. That could be a separate problem

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Which motor do you have? because there is no IAC (idle air control valve) on the 2003 up Chevy V-8s. So if it is a V-8 then you may want to clean the throttle body, and go from there.
    And the check engine light is on? and how do you know the OBDII port isnt working? you hooked up an OBDII reader? did you check the Lighter fuse since that should be the power to the OBDII port.

4. Jay

Jay Rockstar

I wish someone would abandon a truck for me... their loss, your gain. :)