1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Chevy Silverado Tow/Haul Mode

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tripleblack, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Tripleblack

Tripleblack New Member

This just started recently. When I put my truck in gear, especially after backing out, the Tow/Haul is engaged. I have to drive a short way, then stop, put it in Reverse, and then back in gear to get the light on the dash to go out. It then drives and shifts normallly. The truck doesn't respond to the button on the end of the gearshift. The gearshift is on the column. Any ideas on what is going on?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is a wire"Orange" that runs down the Column Shifter and to the base of the steering column for the Tow/Haul mode.....The casing around wire has most likely split open and the wire got pinched and Broke....Below is a link that show how to repair the wire,

Link,

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30423&highlight=haul broke
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. Tripleblack

Tripleblack New Member

Thank you for responding so quickly. This was my first post, anywhere! I am definitely technically challenged, so this may be too much for my skillset. I might have to take it to the dealer for this.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your Welcome,........It's not hard to repair, if you have a friend or someone that can give you a hand in repairing this wire, it will save you some...$$$$...That is what this Site and other's are about, helping other member's....:glasses:
  5. Tripleblack

Tripleblack New Member

Replace gearshift column?

I was looking around on the web, and found a similar problem on Repairpal.com. They recommended replacing the gear shift lever that has the switch. Is that in effect what your repair swould do, or is this something different. If it is different, is it difficult to replace the gearshift? Thank you!
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

I would said that 99% of the problems with the Tow/Haul mode not working,.... is due to what I mentioned above, the wire is been pinched.....But it may be the Button at the end of the shifter has broke.
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

On your Question,about replacing the shifter....I have replaced the shifter in my truck, once again not hard to do, it just takes time.

The only reason I replaced my Column Shifter.... is installed the ones that are put in the Escalade's,
  8. Tripleblack

Tripleblack New Member

Thanks again, I will have to try to take a look and see what is under there!
  9. Tripleblack

Tripleblack New Member

By the way, you have a very nice looking truck!:glasses:
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Thank you....Would you have any Pictures of your Ride???.....:glasses: