1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 GMC Sierra 4.3 starter engages when you tiuch positive bat cable to battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wildbill5613, Feb 8, 2014.

1. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

so, weve got a 04 Sierra 4.3 that we replaced the starter on, worked great for a day and went out again, well we replaced it again, it started turning over as soon as you toch the positive battery cable to the battery, we put 5 differnt starters on it that day, well today i was gonna run a push button start with the igniter wire off, well with that off, it still does the exact same thing with just the positive wire on, any suggestions??????
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

if the starter all crank , with the battery connected ,no key then the starter relay is shorted or the solenoid wire is shorted to a 12volt power feed. this could go back to the ignition switch ...on some vehicles I have witnessed cranking by the vehicle with no key or anyone in the vehicle...this was an ignition switch worn out..
    starter relay is in the fuse box.

you will need a voltmeter / no test light
  3. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If i am understand you correctly, starter cranks with no wires except the battery positive connected? if this is correct, it sounds like you put the battery cable on the motor itself instead of the solenoid. not likely 5 different starters would have the the same short. unless your putting the same solenoid on all the starters.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

As the guys above are suggesting, you have the battery cable connected wrong, a bad solenoid, or you have a problem in the ignition switch crank circuit. This circuit includes the start relay.
  5. edsmagichands

If the only wire connected is the battery + cable you have eliminated the entire start circuit as a possible cause. the only remaining possibility is a stuck/shorted solenoid or you have connected the battery + cable to the wrong terminal.
  6. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Well see, its practically idiot proof to install lol, there's one big termial for 12v and one very small terminal for the igniter wire, and then there is another terminal but its the ground strap from the solenoid to the starter itself, any possible chance the igniter wire(if its shorted somewhere) could be shorting out the solenoid? Maybe if I go exchange it under warranty and start over with the push button start process without connecting the igniter wire? There's wires under the fuse box under the hood that the mice have gotten too but I have already used some of that brush on electrical tape on all wires that I could see bare. Trucks got over 200k and its been a farm truck since new so I'll do whatever it takes to get it running again, we just bought a 14' Silverado but like I said, its the work truck lol
  7. edsmagichands

I am confused here. your post said it started turning over as soon as you toch the positive battery cable to the battery, we put 5 differnt starters on it that day, well today i was gonna run a push button start with the igniter wire off, well with that off, it still does the exact same thing with just the positive wire on. by igniter wire do you mean the small wire that comes from the starter relay? you said it cranked with that off and just the positive wire on. did you mean the cable to battery +? i believe the ground strap you are referring to is actually the power feed from solenoid to motor when solenoid is activated. if all wires are on correctly a short to power on the small wire from the starter relay will be the same as turning the key. so again If the only wire connected is the battery + cable you have eliminated the entire start circuit as a possible cause. the only remaining possibility is a stuck/shorted solenoid or you have connected the battery + cable to the wrong terminal. does it crank with the "igniter" wire off? 5 different starters, same issue? some where i seem to have gotten lost.
  8. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Yes, at first, it started turning over by itself when you touched the battery cable to the battery. And yes by igniter wire I mean the small solenoid wire, I then proceeded to remove this wire, still does the same thing, the very first starter I had put on that worked for a day was hooked up exactly like the rest of them so I don't see me wiring it wrong being the issue unless it so happens that one was messed up and worked being hooked up wrong, what was making me mad was our local oreilley auto parts tested 3 starters in a row before we left the store, and 2 of them failed the test 3 times in a row, but the one we have now is from advance auto parts. If your positive the post with the strap is the power feed for when the solenoid is on I'll try that, I just don't wanna melt the starter and them not take it back haha
  9. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Does anybody have a diagram that shows where the wires are supposed be located on the solenoid? Somebody told me it could be a universal fitment due to they changed some things mid year? Not sure how true this is, but thank you all for your input! Its appreciated greatly!
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the 12 volts from the battery should go to the large wire stud that does not have a wire on it .the other stud goes into the starter motor feed to the brushes.

when the solenoid contacts close then , 12 volts goes to the other stud that has a wire on it into the starter...

you put the battery feed to the wrong stud then the starter will always crank...

surprised that farm guys are not up to speed with this..