1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 High Mileage Silverado Purhase???

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by afireinside, Jul 10, 2013.

1. afireinside

afireinside New Member

Ok so looking for some in-site here. I sold my 2007 NBS last fall for many reasons but of course Id like a truck. My Captain at work (FD) Has a 2004 Silverado Crew cab 4x4 not sure of the trim, I assume LT With 215k on it pewter color. He drives about 200 miles round trip each day so this is all freeway miles. The only issues are drivers side AC inop, ABS dosent work (assume a rotted backing plate/sensor?) speedo is intermittent, dents dings ect. New tires 1k miles ago for $600.00 new brake lines, new cyl head at 150k.

He only wants $1000.00 for it because he knows I need a truck (hes the big goofy helps anyone even if it hurts himself kinda guy)

I can do every and anything on cars except a engine rebuild and trans so any issues I can handle, especially since I had a 99 and a 07.

Anything to look out for. first is all basic maintaince. What would a trans rebuild/refresh run here in Michigan?
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

With inoperable ABS, will Michigan flunk your safety inspection? The truck is worth well over $1000 if it runs.
  3. afireinside

afireinside New Member

No sir no emissions or any state safety checks at all. But you can imagine their are many very unsafe cars here......

What are likely things to look for? Backing plates/corroded ABS sensors? ABS module?

I am a OCD maintenance guy, I am going to do all standard stuff, plugs (maybe wires) air filter, PCV (if their are this year) coolant flush (may do a water pump and thermo just for the heck of it) brake fluid to synthetic, Power steering fluid, Front and Rear Diff's, Xfer case, Oil to synthetic.

I need to replace the module for the drivers side AC thats blowing hot, ABS of course and speedo I will look into also.

I think if I get it for 1k, put $500 in to fix and maintain all of the above. And even rebuild/refresh the tranny for $1000-1300.00 (I know a guy who owns a shop who is a big racer/builder) Ill be at $2500 or so and the KBB shows about $8500 in poor condition, $9900 in good (I think its a bit above good condition) So if I ever decided to sell (dont foresee that for along time) I could actually make a good amount on it.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Buy it-it runs-great price!!
  5. afireinside

afireinside New Member

Ok bought it and drove it home today. Runs great, shifts smooth 4x4 works no noises ect. Bed is pretty beat lots of big dents ect, rust at the bottom rear door sills. Interior is good.

Needs: Tune up the idle is rough. All front end work needed ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends the whole front end/steering is loose, clunks ect. Coolant flush, F/R diff Xfer case fliud changes. The drivers side dosent blow the AC and the speedo is intermittent (cluster rebuild)

So ill have a few grand into it when I am done