1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Seirra 4WD service light??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wallstetter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

my 4WD service light will come on every now and again but when i shut the truck off and turn it back on it goes way. anybody know anything about this?
  2. Calbaby968

Calbaby968 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure if it's related, but when I modify my Hypertech Power Programmer III on my 04, the service 4wd comes on. The only problem I ever had was the neutral light would come on on the 4wd selection but the truck would still drive fine. Advance Auto's will check codes for free, which may be a good start.
  3. wallstetter

thanks it still drives fine but when it says that it wont shift into 4wd but it goes down the road fine
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the actual modual could be going, will it go into 4wd
  5. wallstetter

it will go into 4wd when it doesnt say service 4wd but if the light is on it wont go into 4wd
  6. vncj96

i would bet its the actual module in the dash, have you ran any lines recently through your dash? i did and one of the lines was resting on the lines for the module, it actually pushed that line against the firewall and caused it to rub on a hole in the firewall eventually shorting it when the insulation was gone
  7. wallstetter

i havent messed with the dash but i will maybe take it off and look..thanks for the info
  8. vncj96

I know when mine went out the dealership didnt charge me anything to test it, but my dealership seems to be a rarity in that it treats its long time customers very well.
  9. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im having the same problem, i have it figured out though, i have a short in one of the harnesses in the back of the module. every time i hit a bump or my base is too high it will make the light come on. all i need is some electric tape or a tie wrap, but i just dont feel like taking it all apart. mine however, will switch into 4wd even though it may take a min or 2 longer.
  10. AL-B

AL-B New Member

Most Likely...

It is the dash control panel switch (Part # 15136039 - $84) which is fairly easy to replace yourself or the sensor in the encoder motor which I am in the process of trying to find some procedures to replace it, but I have heard it isn't too bad if you follow some procedures. I have bought the sensor already (part # 88962315 - $110) for my 2004 Chevy Silverado.