1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado: 4.3L to SBC swap has began

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 04SilveradoMykk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello.

Here is my engine swap thread. 2004 Silverado 4.3L to 357ci built SBC.

Day One: Sept 6th,08

Prepped the truck, removed a few body panels that would be in the way. Drained the coolant, disconnected the battery.

[​IMG]

Unbolted the Y-pipe from the headers. Disconnected all of the engine sensor harnesses. Unbolted all of the bell housing bolts. (So I had thought) Removed the radiator hoses. Took off the accessory brackets, Alternator & P.S. pump. Removed the starter and disconnected the torque converter from the flexplate.

[​IMG]

Transfered the accessory brackets, studs & bolts over to the SBC. Modified the A/C bracket to clear the valve covers. Spaced the A/C compressor to also clear the VC's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. 04SilveradoMykk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a jack under the trans, and hooked up the cherry picker to a chain bolted to the 4.3L. Began to lift to seperate and the engine wouldn't bust loose... I had forgot two bell housing bolts, one on each side. And they are being a pain in my ass. One bolt has the fuel lines bracket on it... and the other bolt has a bracket holding a big thick wiring harness attached to it.

In hopes of giving myself some more room between the back of the 4.3L and the firewall I removed the nut on the trans mount and jacked the tailshaft of the trans upward. I'm just taking a breather now... it's rough out there in the 90+ degree heat from the Arizona sun.
  3. 04SilveradoMykk

Day 2. Sept 07,08:

It's not 100% bolted in... lets call it 80%

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. 04SilveradoMykk

[​IMG]

I didn't have any intention to get the motor in today, but my buddy and I watched this little cloud directly above us balloon into a massive thunderstorm and we got the engine sitting in the engine bay just as it started to down pour.

The engine isn't completely on it's mount brackets. I have a feeling the trans slid forward in it's elongated slot on the cross member, enough to misalign the motor mounts up front. And the engine will sit 1.5" lower once it's completely on the mount brackets.

I've got a couple more bell housing bolts to tackle, they needed to be changed out from metric bolts to 3/8" course. The TC needs to get bolted to the flex, started motor bolted up. Needed new starter bolts, from metric to standard.

Still need to finish wiring in the new fuel injection harness and plug in every sensor harness.

And,The K&N FIPK for 4.3L did not need to get modified at all to fit on the V8

We also mounted the secondary trans cooler. Yes I know, I have some aligning to do... of the bumper cover and the cooler.

[​IMG]

Cheers ~Mykk
  5. Calbaby968

Calbaby968 Rockstar 100 Posts

Looking Good.
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's an awesome write-up! Can't wait to see the finished result.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks great, keep up the good work and keep us updated. Look forward to more info!
  8. 04SilveradoMykk

Day 3. Sept 8th.

Just taking it easy and going slow. I have a few appointments today that are keeping me from completely dedicating myself to the truck today.

My hopes of just having the transmission mount slid forward and giving me the misaligned motor mounts were wrong. The trans was all the way back in the slot on the crossmember and I was about 1" from having the motor mount bolt holes line up.

So I went with the first idea that came to mind. Elongate the transmission crossmember hole even more so the entire rotating assembly can slide back enough to compensate for how far off the motor mounts were.

[​IMG]

And it worked! The engine is now bolted down and sitting at the correct level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's funny looking at the V8 with the 4.3L intake & TB & accessorys... it looks like I still have the six cylinder in there.

Check out all that room I still have too.

[​IMG]

Cheers ~Mykk
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

wow thats awesome. Can't wait to see it finished!
  10. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks great man!! Can't wait to see to see the finished product! :glasses: