1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado 4.8l thermostat not working properly?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by VortecK1ng, Jun 19, 2012.

1. VortecK1ng

VortecK1ng New Member

So i just noticed that my temp on the cluster is reading weird. I first noticed that it was showing that i was running warmer than normal (maybe a tick or 2 past midway, midway being normal.) I was on the freeway at this time so i thought that was really strange maybe at like 1,700-2k RPM which is normal for going 75mph on this flat straight stretch. I had no heat or a/c going at the time so I proceed to turn on my heat to maybe see if that would help. It did it went back to normal.

Today i was driving and it warmed up to normal, and than it stayed at the normal midway point on the cluster. THAN all the sudden it dropped to the (ahh forgive me i forget the temps that are written on there but it was at the first large slash so 1/4 of the temp that shows), and then went back up to normal maybe a little more than like 5 min later it did the same thing did a dramatic drop and stayed there for awhile.

Thanks. Sorry if there is any information i left out, or confusing at all.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. redvett

redvett Member

I think you have a bad stepper motor in the cluster.