Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado 5.3 : 50K Miles : Transmission Slipping: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bhsballer76, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bhsballer76

bhsballer76 Member

I bought a 2004 Silverado Crewcab with 40,000 miles on it in the beginning of 2011. The truck now has around 53,000 miles on it. A few times over the past month, I have noticed the transmission slipping. Mostly it is from a stop and I press the accelerator and it feel like the rear wheel is slipping( clearly not at low throttle input on dry pavement) and then it suddenly grabs and the truck moves forward. It doesn't seem to slip for long, just enough for it to not seem right. Can anyone provide some insight on what I can do to get this fixed? My main concern is damage to the transmission that is going to cost big $$$$$.

Thanks in adavance.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you didn't service the trans when you got the truck then I would start there. Although it only has 40,000 miles on it, it has time, about seven years. I would put in some Lucas trans fix as this can help loosen up sticking valves in the trans.

3. bhsballer76

bhsballer76 Member

Anyone else with ideas?

4. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm assuming your truck has the 4L60E transmission or something similar right? It might be what's happening to my truck, do you know which gear it's slipping in?

5. bhsballer76

bhsballer76 Member

To be honest, I am not quite sure what transmission is in the truck. It only happens in first gear.

6. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Could be alot of things, maybe the 1st clutch pack is worn out, and slipping, and grabs once it heats up and expands, could be the stator in the torque converter is slipping( a very good possibility), could be a sticking valve, a leaking 1-2 piston.

Have you tried putting it in tow haul mode and see if it slips then? Tow haul mode will force high line pressure and should apply clutches and bands harder than normal.

7. buford

buford New Member

I'm following this also Ethan. i have the 2004 chev silv crew cab. i have 140,000 miles. I noticed last week I to had a shudder when at a dead stop and attempting to accelerate. I have a BG flush machine and all the cleaners and conditioners. I flushed it and noticed that my tranny pressure was at 30 psi. Which seems low. any thoughts on that. I usually flush every 2 yrs due to alot of towing my boat during the summer. I'm wondering if the tranny filter is a paper type or screen type and has eventually become partially clogged with mileage, possible reason for low tranny pressure. I don't know searching for an answer