1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado doesn't shut off when the key is removed.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Georgia_Dave, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Georgia_Dave

Georgia_Dave New Member

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who owns a 2004 Silverado. My 99 'Burb doesn't have this feature. The newer models, when you turn the key off the radio still plays and all of that until you open the door. In my friend's truck, when you open the door nothing turns off, so it just keeps running and eventually drains the battery. I assume this is a relay or something, but I don't have a manual for his truck, and I knew someone on here would probably know. I appreciate the help.
  2. BRB46

BRB46 Member

I'm not sure it's the same but I had a 2005 express van that did the same thing. It didn't do it every time. Have them open the door then close it again to see if that shuts it off. That used to word for the van. I eventually cleaned door switch to fix mine. Hope this helps.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Does his interior light turn on when he opens the door? If not I would suspect the door switch. they usually go bad when the door pins start to wear and the door sags.
  4. TBigLug

TBigLug New Member

Check the wires under the column. I had two shorted out on my multifunction switch and it was backfeeding to the ignition and keeping the truck and most systems running. It was a '96 K1500.
  5. Georgia_Dave

Georgia_Dave New Member

The door switch appears to work because the interior light cycles on and off like it's supposed to. I was wondering if there wasn't a relay for the accessory stuff?