1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado has a clunking noise from the front end

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Banshee, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Hi everyone. My truck is a 2004 Silverado 5.3, 4WD with 116k miles. Just a couple days ago, I started hearing a clunking noise coming from my front end. It seems to happen when I turn corners the most, but sometimes I hear it when I'm driving straight, and it doesn't happen on every corner. Most of the time, I have my truck in Auto 4WD, but I put it in 2WD to see if it would stop, and I still hear the clunk.

It's not the steering shaft, I know what that sounds/feels like because I've had to have it fixed before. Being that it's a snowy winter here in Wisconsin, I haven't crawled underneath. I plan to take it in soon, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what I'm up against. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section.. any way to move the thread?
  3. Project Reaper

Project Reaper New Member

thats a cv axle for sure. check your boots and see if they are torn, bad joint for sure.
  4. reberjosh

reberjosh New Member

I have a 2003 1500 with the same problem, and its not the cv axle or any u joints. I was wondering if you figured out what the problem was?