2004 Silverado has a clunking noise from the front end

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Banshee, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Hi everyone. My truck is a 2004 Silverado 5.3, 4WD with 116k miles. Just a couple days ago, I started hearing a clunking noise coming from my front end. It seems to happen when I turn corners the most, but sometimes I hear it when I'm driving straight, and it doesn't happen on every corner. Most of the time, I have my truck in Auto 4WD, but I put it in 2WD to see if it would stop, and I still hear the clunk.

It's not the steering shaft, I know what that sounds/feels like because I've had to have it fixed before. Being that it's a snowy winter here in Wisconsin, I haven't crawled underneath. I plan to take it in soon, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what I'm up against. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section.. any way to move the thread?

3. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

thats a cv axle for sure. check your boots and see if they are torn, bad joint for sure.

4. reberjosh

reberjosh New Member

I have a 2003 1500 with the same problem, and its not the cv axle or any u joints. I was wondering if you figured out what the problem was?