1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 silverado-hot air blows out of driver side vents.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Rodz, Jul 24, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Rodz

Rodz New Member

2004 silverado - hot air blows out of driver side vents, pass side stays cold. Restart the truck, it returns to normal.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It sounds like the air door actuator is bad for that side Rod. Sometimes they strip out & reclycling the key or disconnecting the battery repositions them, but it doesn't last long before they're off again & can't move the air door or keep it tightly closed, so you end up getting heated air instead of AC.
  3. wbmartin3

wbmartin3 New Member

I've had the exact same issue with my 04 Suburban Z71. I've even learned to turn the car off on the freeway to reset the actuator; when I turn it back on, the a/c works fine. I can't find a photo of the actuator and I don't know what it looks like or I'd try cleaning it or replacing it. If you find it, please post a photo! -Bill
  4. pissonbinladen

pissonbinladen New Member

hot air coming from driveers side vents only

I too have the same problem. Seems to do it randomly.. whenever it wants. It's almost like it seems to do it more often during the hot summer months.. compared to like during the Spring and early Fall seasons.

I've got a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS crew cab.. just rolled over to 100k 3 days ago. But its been doing it for a while.. and I should have made time to take it to the dealership while the warranty was still in effect.. but when I bought the truck, I got the extended 100k drivetrain warranty.. but once again, she rolled over to 100k about 3 days ago.. so now I'm screwed and will have to pay for the repair.

Anyone know about what this costs to have fixed? Just a ballpark figure...?
  5. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This has happened in my '08 Silverado my Dad's '09 Silverado my Mom's '08 Tahoe and a lady I work with, her '05 Equinox. I think it is just something funky with GM.
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

7. ohenry

ohenry New Member

$390

I had this exact same problem on my last truck, a 2004 Silverado LT ext cab. Cost me $390 at an independent shop (parts and labor).
  8. LEVELEDZ71

LEVELEDZ71 New Member

i had the same problem on my 04 silverado. I work at an independent shop and all i paid was our price on the driver blend door motor which was $136. thankfully this is the motor that is accessable from the passenhger side by just removing the lower heater case cover. If it would of been any of the other motors it would require full dash removal, draining the A/C, cooling system....a whole lot of bull **** for a simple motor. very simple to replace
  9. curtisjon

curtisjon New Member

10. fireman87

fireman87 New Member

I have an 04 silverado, with manual AC/Dual climate control>> been having this problem for about a year on and off...finally today i decided to investigate>>Took the left side temp actuator off was going to replace but instead there is like 4 clips that hold the housing together on the sides i used a small screw driver to open the clips and split the case... was careful to look at how it came apart.. but i took the white gear out which allows u to pull the black gear out notice where the tab is on the black gear, mark it with a marker if u have to.. underneath the black gear there are two metal tabs that looked to me to be the conductors that run on a halfmoon shaped electrical panel... Im assuming that this tells the computer where the door is located.. the clear grease that is on the gears had dropped onto the panel and coated the little conductors>> I bent the little tabs a little further so they had more pressure on the panel and cleaned the grease off of both reassembled the case and reinstalled it back into its position hooked the wire harness back up> And so far so good drivers side i can now control and it does not switch and blow hot air anymore>>> knock on wood