2004 Silverado start up tick

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by paulh, Dec 22, 2011.

1. paulh

paulh New Member

I have a 2004 Z71 and when I start it up on a cold morning it makes a ticking noise for about a min and then it goes away for the day. Could this be my one of my lifters?????

2. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Seems to happen with all of them... Chevy, GMC, Cadillac... IMO, as long as it goes away after the first minute, you should be fine.

3. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

All my trucks have done it, if you throw some lucas stablizer in it that will help, its just cause the oil takes a min to circulate through the motor

4. audihenry

audihenry New Member

My 95 Sub does this, too. It always sounded to me like a leaking exhaust and I suspect that's what it is.

5. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

My 2000 Silverado with 5.3 did till it warmed up , mechanic said they all do but have heard others that didn't. Started using a synthetic blend oil and it quieted down some, I also thought it was an exhaust manifold leak at first but never seen any fumes or carbon.

6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my 96 has a similar tick and it always goes away after warming up a little i agree with it probably the vehicle is just cold happens to most cars no matter what make or model.

7. audihenry

audihenry New Member

I have to disagree as this does NOT happen to most cars. We've had Volvos, Benzes, Audis, Toyotas, Hondas, Buicks, etc., and this did not happen on any of them, ever. Sure, each had its own unique issues, but not this. However, this appears to be common on GM trucks, as per this thread.

8. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts