1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 silverado stuck in neutral

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by black07sierra, Jan 29, 2012.

1. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

04 Silverado 4x4 transfer case stuck on neutral.

Just replaced the transfer case. The original one locked up while driving. I got a new one and put it in but it is stuck in neutral. I can hear the encoder motor switching between 2h and all when I push the different buttons but it is still in neutral. Anything else I should check or do?
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Change your selector maybe? Is your service 4wd light on in the message center?
  3. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

When you say change selector I'm assuming you mean try to change it from 2wd to 4h or 4l. I've done all that and I can hear the encoder moving the shaft and hear it changing gears but it is still doesnt go anywhere. It's in neutral. Even in park it rolls. Service 4wd light is not on.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

No I meant change the enitire selector switch. But since it rolls in park...
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

X2 on the selector switch. They tend to crap out fairly early unfortunately.
  6. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

Still stuck in neutral. I can't think of anything else. Tried a new selector. Tried a new encoder but still stuck in neutral.
  7. dpeter

dpeter Member

Was this transfer case new, used or rebuilt and did it come with a warranty?
  8. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

It came from a junkyard. I took the encoder motor off and tried turning the shift shaft with a wrench and it starts clicking when I move it either way like its trying to lock into gear but can't or won't.
  9. dpeter

dpeter Member

I have used junkyard parts and have had pretty good luck but you do take your chances. The ones I have dealt with have always been happy to exchange the part until you get one that works but you're on your own for labor. I would suggest taking to a tranny shop for an estimate to repair but tough to do since it will not move on it's own and besides the advice already given, I can be of no help to you except to tell you I feel your pain.
    Time to get the wrenches back out.

T
  10. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

Pulled the transfer case out and out it back in. It came out of an 06 Sierra 1500. With everything off ground I can put it in neutral and turn front and rear wheels just fine. If I put it in 4h or l and turn a wheel by hand they all turn. If I put it in 2h and turn rear wheel front drive shaft turns but not front wheels. So the encoder motor seems to be doing its job. It's almost like the tranny output shaft isn't turning the input shaft on transfer case. Before I put it back up in there I switched from 2 to 4 with everything plugged in to it and turned the transfer case input shaft and everything did what it was supposed to. I can hear everything in the tranny turning when it's in gear. It's just not turning the transfer case. It's almost like the output shaft isn't going into the transfer case input. Is that even possible?