2004 Silverado suspension problem.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hellbilly, Mar 24, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. hellbilly

hellbilly New Member

I just bought a 2004 Silverado ext cab, 6' bed, v6, rwd. It has a set of Goodyear Eagle GT ll p285/50p20 tires on it with a set of Eagle Alloy rims. I believe it has a 2" dropped suspension. The problem is the right tire is rubbing the anti sway bar whenever I turn to the left. Its pretty annoying and I don't want it to wear the tire out. What options due I have to get this tire to stop rubbing? I want to lift the truck but not really sure what my options are since its rear wheel drive. Any help would greatly be appreciated photo (2).jpg photo (1).jpg .
  2. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 New Member

I`m not 100 percent sure... but I think part of the problem is because of the tires. They are much wider than factory size. And also because the suspension was lowered. If you go to a less wide tire it may stop the rubbing.
  3. hellbilly

hellbilly New Member

That's what I'm thinking. From what I've read (I haven't done measured it myself yet) says those tires are 9" wide. I don't really care for the rims so I'm good with swapping them out. Thanks for the advice!
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its a little hard to tell from the pic.....but it does look like the truck been dropped 2in" in the Front.......here are the Specs on those Tires,

[TABLE="class: withlines, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TH]Tire Size[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]285/50-20[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Section Width[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]285 mm (11.2ins'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Sidewall[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]143 mm (5.6ins'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Overall Diameter[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]794 mm (31.3ins'')[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Edit.....
    do you know if the Rear has also been Dropped 2ins"??.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. hellbilly

hellbilly New Member

Been awhile since I've posted on here. I've been doing some work on my Silverado. The rear end was lowered 2" as well. The previous owner cut the coil springs and done a major hack job to them. Since I've last posted I added a 4.5" Rough Country lift to the truck, new sway bar, brake lines, lower control arm, leaf spring shackles,speed sensors, rear brake calipers and pads. I went back to the factory 16" tires until I find the new tires and rims I want.
    . 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg