Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2004 Silverado Torsion Bar removal without unloader

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by marks6, Oct 1, 2012.

1. marks6

marks6 New Member

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some help. First off, I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 Z71. I was wondering if I can remove the torsion bar connector without the "unloader tool"? I am installing a leveling kit and thought I could do it with no special tools, just using some C clamps. Can this be done or is it more trouble than its worth?
    Also once I have the leveling kit in, I am upsizing the rims and tires a little, up to 285/70 17. I am only going a little because I drive a lot of highway. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

It is highly recommended that the unloading tool be used. Some members have posted that they used C-clamps but it can be dangerous if they slip off. Auto zone rents tools at no cost if it is returned. i am going to be installing leveling keys on my 06 next spring and will be using AZ loaner tool to do mine. As far as tire size goes that will only affect your speedometer a little bit I think. maybe some one else will have better info on that. Hope that helps you. Post how it went and what method you used for future reference for others

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the sized tires you plan to get may indicate a lower speed than you actually doing.

compare revs per mile with tires selected. the size you plan to use would be 635 rev/mile

4. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I tried using c-clamps when i installed them on my 03...i bent the knot out of them...and they were high quality ones also

5. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I used a ball joint press. Worked well no problems. used a large bolt to hold it to the cross member so it wouldnt kick out. I used a c clamp with a 1 inch shaft and bent it bad.