1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Stock Speaker Sizes

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by c_m_chance, Apr 24, 2010.

1. c_m_chance

c_m_chance Rockstar 100 Posts

Crutchfield isn't really helping me with this. Normally they're pretty good, but I think they're off on this one. Or at least lacking. I typed in everything they asked for on my truck, but they don't really list everything. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab. Crutchfield.com says that the front doors have 6.75" speakers and the rear door also has 6.75" speakers. However, when I look at my front doors, I can clearly see two speakers in there. One looks like it could be a 6.5" (or the more awkward stock 6.75") speaker, but the other looks like it might just be a tweeter. Does anyone know about this?

And on the rear doors, there is only one speaker. And I suppose it could be 6.75", so I'm not too worried bout that one. Just concerned with what is in the front doors.

I suppose I could take off the door panels and measure them myself, but that would also require me to take off the door panels and measure them myself. lmao. :lol: So if anyone could save me from spending the time to just check the speaker sizes, that would be great.
  2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my 2002 silverado, i have 6.5" in my truck stock, and i put in 6" speakers in my truck. They will fit the front doors on mine.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

yes there is a seperate tweeter in there, if you get a good set of 6.75 you can just yank out the stock tweeter or just get a set of components
  4. c_m_chance

Ok. That's what I was thinking. What I'll probably wind up doing is replacing the tweeters in the front with some newer/better ones, then replacing the 6.75" speakers in the front with 6.5" component subs. And then the back doors I'll replace with 6.5" combo component speakers. Thanks for the clarification though!
  5. vncj96

if you get all the speakers from crutchfield they will give you the spacers for free!
  6. c_m_chance

What spacers are you talking about?

Also, I was thinking more on this and I'm wanting to get an all alpine system (just always been a fan of Alpine). But Alpine doesn't offer any tweeters. Do you think 5.25" speakers will fit in the holes for those tweeters?
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My friends alpine component set came with tweeters.

Front doors and rear doors are 6.5/ 6 3/4 and most tweeters are only 1 inch. So I'm kind of curious about what this other speaker looks like.
  8. c_m_chance

I'll have to take a picture of what the speaker looks like I guess. It's kinda big from the looks of it through the door panel mesh stuff.
  9. vncj96

Anytime you order speakers from crutchfield they will give you spacers if you need them for speakers. I just ordered some 5 1/2 but the holes in the second door for my suburban takes a 6 1/2 and they just give you the spacers for free so they will mount properly
  10. vncj96

the factory tweeter just looks big cuz of the way they mount them, its a 1 inch tweeter