1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Suburban 4WD problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Caper, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Caper

Caper New Member

Not to long ago we aquired this great truck. The front diff. was wet and the axle seals were leaking. We choose to do a quick change out of the diff. & went ahead and obtianed a good used one and changed it out. With in a few days the new diff began to show the same visual wetness (in just 2WD)
    Because I do not know how this 4x4 system (auto) works, I wonder what be the cause?
    I have check the vent tube and it is clear?
    I have driven it at Hwy speed in auto 4WD and it looks worse.

Anyone who knows the issue and can help, please communicate as I really enjoy the truck.

Thanks to the two who replied thusfar.
    If anyone reading this knows how the 4x4 sytem (c/w auto 4x4 switch) works with this truck & that might have an idea or two on this problem. Please feel free to reply, as any help will be greatly appreicated.

Rumor has it that there are clutches in the transfer case. Could this may be the issue?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, I don't put used parts on my truck for that reason and I suspect you should just install new seals. I am sure someone will weigh in soon that knows that system. Good luck. :glasses:
  3. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member

Welcome to The Club. I agree with donyms.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

It is not unusual for the pinion seals to leak in trucks of this vintage. Mine does though not badly (front). I resealed the transfer case, which was leaking, when I had it out, and have replaced not only the seals but the yoke on the rear axle to resolve leaks.
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

Welcome to GMTC
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  7. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I put 149,000+ miles on my '04 w/o any problems, so I can't help.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread here as it will help in getting you more responses geared toward your topic vs the Member Intro section. Sorry I can't be any help otherwise.

Good luck and I hope you find/fix your problem soon.