1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Suburban new owner question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by eddie_picazo, Mar 31, 2014.

1. eddie_picazo

eddie_picazo New Member

2004 Suburban LT 5.3 222K miles.

Hi fellas just bought this Burban for only $3500. Interior is in great condition as well as the outside. This truck had two owners both brothers, one had it since new and the other for about 90K. The first owner had always put synthetic oil since new as well as the second owner who uses now Mobil high mileage 10W40.

1: Sorry about my rant. What oil do you fellas recommend me using now? I want to keep this truck for a long time. Should I continue with synthetic or Dino since it's got high miles and what grade?

2: Should I change the tranny fluid as well as filter?

Thanks in advance.
  2. paracutin

paracutin New Member

Here goes another oil debate! :)

I like Mobile 1 5W30 but any 100% synthetic will do a fine job.
    I would do a trans service, diffs and t-case. If you can do the work yourself it will save you a crap ton of money.
  3. eddie_picazo

eddie_picazo New Member

Thanks for the reply, I was not asking which oil was better or worse much less go into an oil debate. As I stated before the truck has been using Mobil high mileage 10w40 so should I continue using it or bring it down to 5w30 per manual or 10w30?
  4. paracutin

paracutin New Member

What is your oil pressure when idling with the engine fully warmed up?
    What is your oil pressure at 1,500 rpm - 2,000 rpm with the engine fully warmed up?
    Does it burn any oil?
  5. eddie_picazo

eddie_picazo New Member

Just bought it last week and I haven't used it much so I don't know if it's burning oil or not. I noticed fully warmed at idle the pressure is between 30 and 40 and when I accelerate obviously the pressure goes up to almost 40.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I second the vote for mobile 1 5w-30. I will add, with a AC delco oil filter.

- - - Updated - - -

that pressure seems a little low. My 2005 is just a tad below 40 at idle and goes almost up to 60 on accel.
  7. paracutin

paracutin New Member

Pressure is good with the current oil. I wouldn't change a thing.
    My guess is that with 5W30 synthetic you will see pressures above 40psi under acceleration.
  8. eddie_picazo

eddie_picazo New Member

Owner changed the oil about 4k before I bought last week and made a 20hr round trip from Denton, TX to Corpus Christi, TX? Is it possible that since the oil is not fresh it's reading low pressure?

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that the previous owner has been using The Mobil "High Mileage" 10W40. So keep using it with an AC Delco filter?

9. paracutin

paracutin New Member

Like I said earlier, I prefer Mobile 1 5W30.
    Your truck has been using Mobile High Mileage 10W40 for the last 90,000 miles. You have decent oil pressure. Why change now?
    If you really want to know what's going on inside your engine have a Used Oil Analysis done. You can read all about it here. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
    Without tearing the motor down that's the only way to tell the condition of the internals.
  10. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Same here. I have 185k miles on my 2001. Oil pressure at idle is 40psi and cruising at 2000 rpm at 60 psi.
    It has only seen Mobil 1 5W-30 since new.