Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2004 Tahoe LS without onstar-what's up with that?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by vizsla1822, Feb 28, 2009.

1. vizsla1822

vizsla1822 New Member

The wife totalled her 2004 Tahoe LT in a traffic accident and we bought a 2004 Tahoe LS as the replacement. The 2004 Tahoe LS doesn't have Onstar. There's no Onstar buttons on the inside rear view mirror and no Onstar antenna. We had Onstar on the Tahoe she totalled. Does anybody know why one vehicle would have Onstar and the other wouldn't besides the obvious of one being an LT and the other being an LS? Both vehicles have/had an in-service date of June 2004. Thanks.

2. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

Probably because Onstar is an option. This is kind of like asking "why does my truck have power windows but my buddy's doesn't?"

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep, it's an option and wasnt included on all vehicles.
    Like most options the wire harness is more than likely installed and with a few key parts added you can have OnStar. OnStar can be added to a new vehicle at the dealership upon purchase of the vehicle.
    I dont know for sure but I'd guess the programming would have to be done at a GM dealership, you could probably buy the missing pieces and add them yourself then let the dealership finish the install' might save a few dollars that way.