1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 to 2006 Grille swap.. what to do with the Hood?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by JRD761, Nov 12, 2010.

1. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

I got a very good deal on a 2006 Grille for my truck.
    I thought everything would fit right, but when I put the new grille on, I found out that the 2004 hood doesn't fit on the grille properly and there is a pretty decent sized gap.

I can't seem to find any 2006 hoods in my area at all.
    Really don't want to get a new one right now..

So, I was wondering if anyone had any input on this..

Would putting a aftermarket "bug deflector" that fits a 2006 onto my 2004 fill the gap? Or would it probably not even fit?
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

Thats really weird it doesn't fit. Grill and truck 1500?
  3. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

It fits, it just leaves a gap.
    I'm not certian as to where this grill came from. I got it from an auto body place that had it sitting on their shelves.

[​IMG]

There's a picture of it.. you can see the gap that I'm talking about / trying to fill.
    My truck is a 2004 Silverado (1500, 5.3L V8, Automatic, Ext. cab/6.5' bed)
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

Wow, thats really strane, considering the 04 and 06 trucks are pretty much the same. But judging from the picture, I think a bug deflector would cover the gap in the hood.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

I don't think so.. I think as soon as you close the hood you will brake the bug shield..I think you should put back on the old grill Paint the power bar the color of the truck and paint the grill flat black. Or add a Stainless steel Billet grill to it..
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts

X2, at least 3 of the bug shields mounting points will be where the gap is, leaving the shield unsupported. Even if you manage to close the hood without breaking it, it will undoubtedly vibrate badly at speed. If you want the '06 look you are going to have to spring for the hood.
  7. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 New Member

I like the 06 Grill also always wondered if it would fit. I second put it back the way it was until you can change out the hood, heck if you have to change out the hood I would go with aftermarket. DSC00383 [1600x1200].jpg
  8. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Ok.
    What type of hood am I looking for then?
    a 2006?
    or a HD?
    or what???

Thanks!
  9. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  10. 05azsilver

05azsilver New Member

I speak from experience, this will not work, just change it back until you can afford the new hood. Besides on the after image it looks like the hood is hitting the grill.