1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Trailblazer Tach and Speedometer gone crazy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Onstarnut, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Onstarnut

Onstarnut New Member

I recently started having problems with the tach on my 2004 Trailblazer. The truck Idles normal but the tach reads 5,6 or 7,000rpms. Then it goes back to normal and then acts up again. I went on several websites and saw many with the same problem but most complaining about the speedometer. Well, just my luck now the speedometer sticks at times not going beyond 50 or 60mph. Sometimes when I come to a complete stop the speedometer shows 20 mph. The sites I visited say that its over $800.00 to fix. Does anyone know a simple remedy? If the battery was disconnected for a few hours would it reset? If there are so many complaints like I saw, why isn't there a recall?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

GM to repair faulty instrument cluster stepper motors?

The NHTSA website does list a TSB:

From the wikipage: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_recall_on_the_instrument_panel_on_an_05_chevrolet_silverado

Apparently GM sued Delphi and won a settlement in bankruptcy court. Check with your local dealer to see if you can get any assistance. If they don't help ask for a local GM contact regarding warranty/defect issues.

3. Onstarnut

Onstarnut New Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm still screwed because first of all it does not state Trailblazer and it says vehicles within 70,000 miles. I have 82,000. Just my luck. I guess it will stay that way cause I can't afford to blow 6 or 8 hundred dollars now especially for something they knew about. It worked out perfectly for them (GM). This is what they want, pretend the issues don't exist and then when finnaly so many complaints come out in the open they put these restrictions out which several thousand people would fall through the cracks just like it seems I do. Thats why I have no loyalty to any of these companies, and thats why these companies are going down the toilet.
  4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How to replace a GM instrument cluster stepper motor

As a former Mustang owner I received a notice of settlement on a class action lawsuit. Ford settled out of court, admitted no wrong doing and offered me a coupon for a $500 discount on my next Ford automobile purchase. The lawyers got millions for legal fees. What a system. I emphasize with your predicament.

Here is a thread with some how to info: dieselpages.com
    If you want to consider replacing the stepper motors yourself check out this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FIzqZYgHBw"]YouTube- GM INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL REPAIR - PART 2 OF 2[/ame]
  5. tulsaspeedometer

tulsaspeedometer New Member

We can repair the speedometer, tachometer, fuel, oil, temp, volt

Hi All,
    We can repair the problems with the speedometer, tachometer, and gauge clusters.
    You can send the cluster to us or, We can come to your location and repair it onsite. (if you live in Oklahoma) We have very reasonable pricing and over 30 years experience in the Automotive/Aviation electronics industry.

www.tulsaspeedometer.webs.com

Thank you,
    J
  6. Onstarnut

Onstarnut New Member

What do you charge? How can I send it to you and get it back and install it myself when the speedometer needs to be reset?
  7. 83jimmy

83jimmy New Member

If you remove cluster form truck and mail it to us we will replace bad stepper motors. $125.00 and
    shipping back to your location.If you are in the Tulsa, OK. area we will come to your location and remove and repair, then reinstall cluster, $150.00. Life time warranty.