2004 Yukon Denali XL - General Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by kitrite, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kitrite

kitrite New Member

I looking at a used 2004 Yukon XL Denali with 44K miles (privately owned). I heard these trucks have alot of tranny problems. Is this true?
    Any feedback would be appreciated. What else should I look out for?

THank you

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Is it a 1500 or 2500 Yukon??

3. kitrite

kitrite New Member

It is a 1500

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You have a 4L60E. If you take care of them and drive them normal, then there not bad. Run them hard and they won't last. With that said I use my truck off-road all the time, have over 90,000 miles and lifted with 35" tires and have had no trans. issues. I do run Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid and change it every 25,000 miles. You said the truck has only 44,000 miles on it. Unless the owner ran it hard it should be o.k., I would service the trans. if you buy the truck.

5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

If maintained these trannys will last long time. If you tow make sure it has an auxillary cooler. I currently have 182,000 miles with no problems on my 97 which has the same transmision.

6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X2....keep up with the maintenance and it should last a long time. :great:

7. kitrite

kitrite New Member

Thank you guys!!!

8. only1stegall

only1stegall New Member

225000 on my yukon XL... no worries on 44k!

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The owner of the rear end shop I go to told me that he sees alot of problems with the front diffs in those. At 44k I don't think that there would be an issue yet. My cousin has one and he gets about 2 miles less a gallon then I do in my yukon xl. We think that it is the fact that it has the 6 liter and that I can put my yukon xl in 2wd and his is always in AWD. (can't turn it off)