1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 Yukon vibration type noise on decel and acceleration

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 38pont, Oct 1, 2013.

1. 38pont

38pont New Member

2004 Yukon vibration type noise on decel and acceleration

I have a vibration type noise when slowing down below 20 mph and it goes away when i shift into neutral. It almost sound like a cupped tire type of road noise. I installed brand new tires 100 miles ago. The old tires were cupped. I also hear a whining noise when I maintain a slow speed and bring engine rpm up from coast to very slight acceleration. Seems to be a front differential type of noise that you'd hear in the rear diff between the ring and pinion gears. Could this noise be transfer case related?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it could be anything, bad new tire. t-case. trans, u-joint, heat shield on exhaust, brake backing plate rubbing, cv shaft, rear end, front wheel bearing. The best thing would be to get the rear wheels off of the ground and put it in gear. See if you can track the noise down with the tires spinning.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] has the list covered, my guess is a u-joint.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Much as pikey recommended put the truck on jacks and run her some.
    Listen to the diff cover with a stethiscope if possible, I kind of suspect youve got wear on the diff gears on the coast side of the gear teeth.
    The noise you describe sounds a lot like that.
  5. 38pont

38pont New Member

Thanks for the input guys...and girls.
    The main concern is that when I put the trans in neutral the noise goes away. That really has me wondering. It has the Stabili Trac system. If I had a bad tire or rear diff and drive line problems, they'd be there in neutral too I'd have to say. The front axle was low in oil when I go the vehicle and I topped that up. The dealer supposedly serviced it since new with checking all fluid levels. The transfer case was over full and the rear diff to the minimum level. I do hear a whine sound coming from the transfer case in Park when I lay under the vehicle.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Actually, rear u-joints are not under torque when the trans is in neutral.

When the trans is in gear, there is turning torque from the trans when accelerating, and turning torque from the axle when decelerating.

U-joints usually make a noise when being forced to turn.

Just crawl under and check for looseness and slop in the joints (there are two, one at each end of the drive-shaft. It has been the front one most times that I have had a problem)
  7. 38pont

38pont New Member

U joints are tight. I don't have a lift to use my scope on it. I'm suspecting a transfer case issue. I hear a whining sound like my Ex wife from it in park when I lay under the vehicle and have a listen with the naked ear.
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

HAHAHA.. Nice touch!

I'm no too familiar with 4x4 drivetrains, but from the issues you had with the fluid levels and supposed regular maintenance:whistle:

Have you checked the cv shafts for wear/damage? Also, I've heard people say that worn chains can cause this type of vibration. Being a bike rider, I can say that after a while, chains get stretched and even get "hard spots" where they're not as flexible anymore and can cause vibes and all kind of funky noises (not cool when you're going 180mph btw). Just a thought, hopefully someone with more T-case experience can give more on this issue.:sign0021:
  9. 38pont

38pont New Member

Anyone know where I can get a new front diff for this AWD 3.7 ratio unit? I found a rebuilt on with a 90 day warranty for $700. I was going to rebuild it but I don't have all the tools and I'm not set up to do it where I'm living. There was quite a bit of loose metal on the drain plug of the diff. I'm guessing hte ring and pinion gears have wear from the metallic soup floating around in the diff oil. Any suggestions. Guess I could take it out and pull it apart of inspection of the gears but fall is turning to winter soon here and I work outside in the driveway. Yep, not set up to really work on cars now.
    Thanks
    Dave
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My best guess would be a low mileage out of a wreck at a yard or on Craigslist.