1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 1500 4x2 suspension questions. Ride seems too "floaty" best way to level it?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by southlak9cop, Mar 31, 2011.

1. southlak9cop

southlak9cop New Member

This is my first truck, and it was my father's that recently passed away. I've always had sports cars, and most recently a BMW 3 series so I am completely new to dealing with trucks.

I found receipts from Midas where the shocks were changed less than 6k miles ago. All it says is LT shocks. The body roll seems excessive and the ride seems to float and bounce way too much. I'd like to firm this up and also level the truck out. On the 2005 4x2 models, I understand that this is easily done with a spring cup/spacer. I've seen polyurethane, polyurethane and metal, and all metal spacers.

Any particular one better than another, and would adding these spacers firm this suspension up a bit?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. The LT on the Midas receipts stand for LightTruck. I'm sure there not expensive shocks. I'd go with poly spacer kit and I would change the shocks to Bilsteins or Edelbrocks. Check the front swaybar bushings. Remmember you are used to driving sport cars, not trucks. Also '05 2wd's came with either front coils or torson bars. I don't mean to insult you but have you checked to make sure the truck has coil springs? One last thing, Hotchkis Performance make a very nice swaybar set for this truck.
  3. southlak9cop

southlak9cop New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest, I hadn't looked. I was under the impression that the 05 models were torsion bar on the 4x4, and coil spring on the 4x2. Ill have to climb under it tonight and take a look.
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Since it is 2WD I would lower the rear to level it, and agreed you probably need a better shock. It'll never be a sports car but you can make these trucks handle with a few upgrades, and if you want to spend some money.
  5. southlak9cop

southlak9cop New Member

Called home and spoke with my GF. She dropped under the truck and described a coil spring setup to me. She said there is a coiled spring surrounding the shock. So, apparently, there is a coil spring sitting on the lower control arm, surrounding the shock. She described it as looking like the coil spring underneath the spring rides for kids in recreation parks.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you want it to handle better, than instead of lifting the front with a leveling kit why don't you put a Belltech adjustable rear shackle on the rear to level the truck. Then it will handle better than the lifted truck. If you want to go lower Belltech also has a 1" front lowering spring. If you want to go lower than use Belltechs lowered spindle. Before you buy shocks decide if you are gong to lower or lift. If you lower than get the Belltech shocks for lowered trucks. We have a Belltech 1.5-3.0 lowering kit on my wifes Trailblazer since '05 and no problems and it still rides good.