Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 ,1500 5.3 knock sensor/ how hard is it to replace?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by DannyT08, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DannyT08

DannyT08 Member

I have a 2005 chevy silverado 1500 , 5.3 i was on my way home from work and my check engine light popped on so i got it checked out and its the knock sensor , how hard is it to replace?, i have quite a bit of mechanics ability would it be something i could prolly do on my own ? any help would be a thanks

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I had the same question.... But I have a 2000 with the 5.3L on my engine they are on the top of the engine right under the intake manifold. Apparently we have to take remove all the wires from the top of the engine ( engine wiring harness ) with the connections for the injectors and coil packs, remove the fuel rails from the top of the engine and then pull the intake manifold off to get to them.

I have never done this before but will love to do it working with someone who knows what they are doing.

I do know that if you do this, you need to replace the intake manifold gaskets and the bolts for the intake manifold have to be torqued in inch pounds to the correct spec.

The parts needed:

• knock sensor x 2 ( there are 2 of them there ) @ $40-$80 each
    • intake manifold gasket master set x 1 @ $80-$120 each
    • enough time to do it (half day/ full day/ 2 days) if you have never done it before.
    • Torque wrench in inch pounds

3. DannyT08

DannyT08 Member

that really sucks lol i just need to come up with the money to do it lol ... but thanks i knew nothing bout them

4. PantheraUncia

I know I was hoping it was easier myself..... and the wires that connect to the knock sensors are really fragil, there is almost nothing to grab them with ( like 2 loose wires ) so you have to be careful not to break them.

5. PantheraUncia

Well, my knock sensors started working normal again.... the code did not come up, but now its telling me that I need to replace my o2 sensor..... go figure.

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just did mine today on my 2003 5.3. I got the good Felpro gaskets, black Permatex (GM approved) and the two sensors at AZ for around $175.00. The code P0332 has been up for two weeks now after I cleared it 3 times. I was a little leary bout doing it myself but did it anyway and it wasn't bad at all. Just needed the old ladies help twice, Once to hold the wire loom back for removal of manifold, and once for installation of manifold.

You can take the whole intake assembly out at one time. All you have to do is remove the intake tube from air box, injector harnesses at all the injectors, the throttle body pigtail, knock sensor pigtail, alternator pigtail, MAP sensor pigtail, Evap solenoid pigtail, then push in on the white circle clip to release the solenoid, and the fuel lines. Undo all the loom attachments and circle clips. Then the two little coolant lines under throttle body (pinch the hose on the right, Passenger side). Undo the 10 intake manifold bolts. Have a buddy or tie the main wire loom out to the left (drivers side). Then pull up and carefully pull the intake towards you. While pulling out have your buddy snake the hard plastic evap solenoid line through the manifold. And there you have it.

Upon taking the cover off my rear knock sensor there was about two inches of standing water in the bore. I pressure washed my engine to remove a rats nest. Take out the knock sensor plugs, you sqeeze the wide side and pull up to release. The TSB states to dam the rear sensor with RTV leaving the back open.

Thats pretty much everything in a nutshell. Would of taken pictures but it being 20 degrees outside I tried to hurry. Oh the premium Felpro gaskets I bought had gasket holding shoulders built in to sit on the head bolts, wow those were great! Definetly worth the extra money. I used green scotch brite to clean up intake side and head side of gasket surfaces.

Tools: 1/4 in drive tools, 1/4 in drive extentions, 22MM socket (knock sensors), Flat head, pick (removing pigtail connectors), I beileve 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool, plenty of carb clean to clean intake and heads, scotch pads, black GM approved RTV.

Attached Files:

7. DannyT08

DannyT08 Member

Awsome thats great info it helps alot readding how to do it lol ... did it make the truck run any better?

8. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

No just got rid of the check engine light. but I'm sure after cleaning up the inside of the manifold it helped out a little.

9. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check knock sensor harness for exposed wiring where it goes to intake.

10. PantheraUncia

Wow, that is nice, where did you get that diagram and the instructions from? I need to purchase a copy of that book/manual.