1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 1500 Crew without Z82. Specific options/towing questions.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Raydar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Raydar

Raydar New Member

I'm looking at a 2005 Silverado 1500 Crew.
    It has the Z85 suspension option, but not the Z82 trailering package.
    It's had a fairly substantial aftermarket frame mounted hitch installed, but it only has a flat 4 pin connector. It appears to be plugged into a larger round connector under the passenger side of the rear bumper.
    Questions... Is that round connector part of the usual 7 pin connector, or does it support the 7 pin connector that normally comes with the Z82 package? Is it as simple as adding a pigtail in order to add the 7 pin trailer connector?
    What else does the truck not have, since it wasn't equipped with Z82?
    Tranny coolers? Larger radiator? Other wiring harnesses? Brake controller wiring?

I'm realy leaning towards buying this thing, but i want to use it to tow, as well. Don't want to be investing in a huge pain in the azz, or have a diminished capacity due to the absence of the "package".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure on all the details but can help on some. I have an 06 w/extended cab, w/Z71, 4x4. That package comes with towing.

Do you have the towing button inside the shifter handle? That changes the shift timing to help with loads. There should be a transmission cooler right in front of the radiator. The guy might have added his own. You do need one. Under the dash there is a connector for a trailer brake controller. Look in the owner manual and have him show you. Right under the dash near the dead pedal. The wiring in the back is a 7-pin by default. He may have adapted a 7-4 connector. As long the wiring coming in and the base is 7-pin. You can fix it back to 7-pin or get a combo 7-4 connector to have both available. Depends on what you want to tow.

I'm only just getting into the towing part so that's about what I can tell you.

3. Raydar

Raydar New Member

It's got the "tow" button on the gear selector.
    I haven't checked for the tranny cooler. Since it's not a Z82, will that and the brake controller wiring be missing?

4. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Unless the guy had the forethought to add the additional Z82 pieces himself. You may just have a truck with a hitch. Z82 is the towing package. That is heavier cooling system, transmission cooler, hitch, wired 7-pin end to end, factory pigtail for adapting a brake controller.

Lift the hood. Look in front of the radiator on the right. You'll see a small cooler (like 4"x10"). That would be a transmission cooler in factory size. If you want to tow and it does not have one then get on installed. You can get the wiring done fairly cheap. I can't believe the fuse boxes are not a standard one used for all models.

If the truck is a great deal then consider you'll need maybe another $500 or so to make a tow package. Assuming you buy the cooler and do your own work.

If not then just go get one that has the right package from the factory.

I got mine from a gentleman who never towed with it and never really loaded the bed down. He just wanted a 4x4 Chevy truck that rode decent. At $50K miles he wanted out of it and on to the next one. The price was also hard to pass up. The truck was pristine, including bed liner, bed cover, window vents, XM radio, and other bling stuff that just makes it nice.

There are plenty of good deals out there. It is a buyers market. Good luck.

5. Raydar

Raydar New Member

That's what I was thinking.

The truck was too good a deal to pass up. Had most everything I wanted at a price that was even a bit lower than I was willing to pay. (Hey... Lower is always good.) It is even in better condition than most that I've looked at all summer. Heck... The front end doesn't even thump! :D
    I haven't checked for the presence of a cooler yet. Just drove it home last night.
    I can add pretty much whatever is needed. Mostly just wondered if there were provisions for the wiring, or if I was going to have to add harnesses or just plug in pigtails.
    Is the Z82 radiator larger capacity? Or was it just the addition of the external tranny cooler? Either way it's not a show stopper.

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

....The Z82 does not include a Larger Capacity Radiator.....it does include the external Transmission Cooler.

7. Raydar

Raydar New Member

Same radiator. External tranny cooler.
    Check!

Thank you sir!

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your Welcome....:glasses: