1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 4.2 L 275hp,275 ft.lb ???????? Chevy Trailblazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by mxz600, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mxz600

mxz600 New Member

I just traded in my 2000 GMC Jimmy for a 2005 Chevy Trailbazer. I must say it is a far better vehicle than the Jimmy ever was. The ride is awesome. My only complaint is how gutless it is off the line. Once rolling it cruises along fine, but the 275 ft.lbs. of torque feels like 175. From a stop it is slower than death, once you get the engine above 3500 rpm then it kicks in. I got beaten off the line by gramma in her Neon repeatedly the other day. I havent hooked my snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds on it up to the Trailblazer yet, i hate to see how long it takes me to get moving with 3500 lbs. in tow. I must say that I am very dissapointed with the "supposed" power of this motor. Yes, it is whisper quiet, which I am not too fond of, and it is super smooth, I like that. I just wish it had some go when you hit the throttle. The TB came with the 3:42 gears, which I suspect may have something to do with the bottom end issue, But with all the torque it supposed to have that shouldnt be a big issue. I tried out a TB with 3:73's and didn't notice a big difference. Any suggestions????
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hmm. I don't have that experience that you have in my TB. I think it's plenty gutsy for it's size with more than enough power to hit it off the line. It's not enough to squeel the tires or anything, but I can punch it off the line to get ahead of people to do a fast lane change, or get up to freeway speed from a stop with very little time.

What type of configuration do you have? The gears do make a difference off the line, that's for sure.
  3. Brad-T

Brad-T New Member

I too am a newbie to the truck. Just purchased a Used 04 and so far very nice.

I just wanted to confirm that I too feel similar to MXZ600, that the engine is dead from idle. I noticed this the first day.

Now it is not a slouch in my opinion as it will rev up there quickly and go pretty good, but I agree right at the start it almost seems if there is a hesitation.

Also I have not tried to spin a tire but at 275 hp and torque it should spin the tire, or at least get a chirp out of it.

Brad
  4. ChevyFan

Brad, what type of gears do you have on it? Any idea?
  5. Brad-T

Brad-T New Member

3:42

I am not saying it is dead dead, just seems if there is the slightest pause, not exactly sure how to explain, but I just saying I felt the same MXZ600.

Hey Not complaining either as it still goes pretty good.

This weekend I will pull my trailor see how well it works.

Brad
  6. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, one of the problems (I say "problems") ... one of the ways that the engineers have designed engines to work these days is to govern fuel injection and especially to help eliminate things like Jackrabbit starts that spend more fuel than most other normal engine operations. Maybe there is something governing the starts.

Maybe someone should do a poll. "What do you think about the off-the-line power in the TB.
  7. mxz600

mxz600 New Member

My TB has the 3:42 gears, but the one I test drove (flogged) had 3:73"s, same outcome ,dead off the line. I like the idea of a poll of the readers. I am beginning to think I'm not alone with the less than satisfied feeling when I stab the throttle. I wonder if Chevy lover is on to something with the governed start idea. Maybe GM had to tame things down so soccer moms did't spill their kids' juice boxes when they took off to the mall.
  8. ChevyFan

I'll do a poll!
  9. ChevyFan

10. ScarabEpic22

ScarabEpic22 New Member

Guys... GM puts sooo much torque management into our vehicles, so we wont damage anything on them. Personally, I want a Westers tune to severly reduce the management, which should make it so I can squeal a tire or two.

Erik
    02 TB LT 4X4 3.73gears