1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 Avalanche whistling sound when the engine is cold

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by john humphries, Oct 23, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. john humphries

john humphries New Member

I get a whistling sound ,when the truck is first started in cool temperatures. Give it a shot of gas and the sound gets louder. goes away once the engine is warmed up.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm, just thinking of all of the times I've had that problem,
    - could be an exhaust leak (I had a crack in an exhaust manifold that stopped leaking when the manifold expanded),
    - could be a belt (an old belt, maybe 75 to 80 k miles, would squeal when cold),
    - the radiator fans have clutches that let the fan turn only when the engine is hot (I've had fans with poor clutches that would be noisy when cold).

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with all the things rayvoy mentioned. it Could also be a bad bearing in one of the pullys under the hood.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Does it have a CAI?

5. ARMYtango

ARMYtango Rockstar

I am thinking a squealing pulley.
    I have the same issue right now with mine.
    Only squeals when cold and first started, but goes away after warm up.
    I haven't investigated it thoroughly yet, but if you find the issue yourself, please post it on here and let us know!