2005 chevy 2500 hd duramax with a bad front wheel bearing

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ru-one, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ru-one

Ru-one New Member

I just bought this truck and found that the rotors were warped because the steering wheel would shake when I hit the brakes coming down the mountain from work last week. The rotors were turned and were a little warped but as I was putting it all back together I found that the wheel bearing on drivers side was wore out ( much movement in the wheel as I put it back on), that must have been why it shook so much. What have I gotten myself into here? How do I go about fixing this?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4wd or 2wd?

3. Ru-one

Ru-one New Member

4wheel drive sorry for leaving that out

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

these vehicles in the rust belt have hub failures every few years. the hub bearing seals , metal portion rusts out. then the bearings get pitted and you get what you have now.

only use timken hub / made in USA. cost more but last longer. come with the matched sensor .

on the rotors/brakes. cutting the rotors is not recommended. with the use of this 2500 the front brakes do a lot of braking. the heat generated will distort the cut rotors faster. also this causes a spongy brake pedal when the pads get to 50% worn.

when replacing the pads make sure they fit properly. if they fit too tightly you will get rotor damage and erratic pad wear.

5. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 Member

10-4 on the bad bearing hub,,just put one on my chevy,, left front,, and please go with timken or SKF ,, partsgeek has them for about 154.00 ,,, pick up a can of PB blaster and spray it down real good where the 2 surfaces meet,, mine was a little tough to get off,, i did a couple on the rear of my wifes equinox and they fell off,, but the truck was different story...
    take off the wheel,,, remove the dust cap,, remove the axle nut ,, (35mm) i think,,, remove brakes and brake caliper holder bracket,, remove rotor,, unhook the ABS line at the plug,, make sure you axle is loose in the splines so it will slide off easily,, there will be 4 bolts from the back that are 15 or 17 mm ,, remove these bolts,, whack it with a hammer a couple of times just to see if you get lucky,, if not spray it down and get a chisel and start working your way around it,, remember your metal dust cover is in between the bearing hub and spindle housing surface, it can be a bear,, once you get the old on off,, clean the inner surface best you can with sandpaper or anything ,, put some anti seze on the surfaces,, and slide the new one in taking care of the axle splines.. line up the holes (don't forget to put dust sheild on first!!)
    thread the bolts in as far as you can by hand ,, then tight all,, hook up your ABS wire connector, then the washer and axle nut,, torque at 160lbs i think (don't quote me there) ,, install dust cap on axle splines,, brakes and you done!!! nothong to it LOL. here is a link to partsgeek with the hub assembly.... good luck

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20.../driveshaft_-ar-_axle/wheel_hub_assembly.html

terry m

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with the wheel on the ground and the big nut exposed [dust cap removed] you loosen the big hub nut .

then start the install process. when you get the hub installed with the hub nut snug and all the other parts put back install the wheel place the vehicle down on the ground so that the wheel will not rotate. then using a torque wrench the nut torque is 157 ft LBS.

do not use any air guns !

7. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 Member

good point j cat,, i knew the torque was around 160 ,, forgot about the wheel on the ground for torquing the axle nut,,,,

terry m

8. Ru-one

Ru-one New Member

Thanks to all that replied, I have it apart, the tough part was breaking loose the 4 bolts holding the assembly. My freind suggested that I heat the knuckle a little and they broke loose easily. Now I'm waiting for a new O-ring to put it all back together. Again thanks for the help.