1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Chevy Silverado stalling while driving or at idle....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Dieselman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Dieselman

Dieselman New Member

My 2005 Chevy Silverado keeps stalling when I am at an idle or driving down the road. I have replaced: fuel filter, fuel pump, cap & rotor, plugs & wires and crankshaft sensor. Please help what am I missing?
  2. Magna86

Magna86 New Member

Ok does it do it all the time? Is your check engine light on? What are the codes? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Now what exactly is it doing? Just flat out dying? Are the RPM's bouncing? Need more info to help ya better.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

What Brand of Spark Plugs did you install??.....and have you had the Trucks Computer Scan for any Trouble Codes??......also your Truck being a 2005"....the Gas Engine's don't have a Cap....Rotor.....or a Fuel filter.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  4. Dieselman

Dieselman New Member

I am sorry, I had someone else post this for me. It is a 2004 not 05. It doesn't do it all the time. My check engine light is on and only reading 2 evap codes. Have not yet checked for vacuum leaks. It is not just flat out dying it sputters then cuts out. The RPM's aren't bouncing. I used AC/Delco spark plugs. I do have cap/rotor and fuel filter in my truck.
  5. jreagan

jreagan Member

Checked the EGR valve?
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Having a Cap....Rotor....and Fuel Filter.......Then your Engine is a V-6,

These are the Trouble Codes for....EVAP System DTC's:...P0440....P00441....P0442......P0443....P0 446....P0453.....P0455.....P0456

Technical Description Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction......This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

It could mean one or more of the following has happened:
    • The gas cap is not installed or working properly
    • The purge solenoid has failed
    • The canister is plugged and not working properly

Here are some things to try:

• Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
    • Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
    • Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
    • Check and/or replace the sensor
    • Check and/or replace the purge valve
    • Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks